Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's 96 f250 was idling on his driveway when it started running rough and stalled. He though maybe he was out of fuel but when he was checking under the hood he found the wire connector for injectors on the right valve cover was smoking and fried. Any idea what would cause this to short out? It seems like a fuse should have blown instead of burning the wires. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I suspect he will have it towed to dealership for repair but it would be good to know what to expect. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
the problem you are having stems from bad glow plugs under the valve cover, high resistance with the glow plus not working causes high heat in the wiring and it melts the wiring , which causes it to lose connection to the injector on tat harness ,and then you have a skip, remove valve covers , replace glow plus and replace necsary short harness , and valve cover gasket

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SCUFFY828 -- Thanks again. What should the resistance be on each glow plug? Should the plugs be sprayed with wd-40 or PB blaster a day or so before trying to remove them? --- Do they tend to seize-up like spark plugs? I'll read up on it a bit. Any hints will certainly be appreciated. --Charlie

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
i wouldnt waste any time trying to test the glow plugs , in those models it is best to replace them all, check all wiring and replace any melted wiring , valve cover gaskets etc., and they dont usually stick like spark plugs , but some have been known to be a little tight coming out , they are sitting in the oil , so lubricating them wont help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi agian Scuffy828, Thanks for all the info. We removed the glow plug and the problem one had a complete short -- no wonder the wire was fried. So now, we will replace the internal harness for those two cylinders, the valve cover gasket and a new external 5-pin connector. All connectors related to this plug were destroyed. Is it okay to just use a connector with pig-tails and splice it into the main wiring harness? Also, any chance that the PCM has been fried for this cylinder because of this short? The engine would still run, but my son said it sounded like the one cylinder was not firing. I guess we'll know as soon as we get the parts and get it back together. Oh yes, we used compressed air to blow the oil from around the glow plugs before removal and replacement. Is there any chance engine oil can get into the cylinders while the glow plugs were out? I mean enough that could cause a problem when we turn the engine over? Thanks again for your help. -Charlie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts