Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this truck immediately after it had a set of performance injectors installed. I don't know how big they are and the shop that did it won't tell me. I am an ex-car and school bus mechanic of 8 years. I know to a degree what I am doing however I figured it was time to join up with you guys since I am asking questions that I can't get answers for here locally.
here goes...
I have a 96 powerstroke lifted 6 inches on 315's, it has a 4.10 gear, superchips power programmer, fuel pressure shim mod, eot mod, 10k mod, adjusted tps, cold air intake, stock turbo,no cat, no muffler. that's all I can think of for now.

It still has the crush tube exhaust downpipe and I have been wanting a t.s. 6 position or a tw chip. I want to be able to blow smoke at people to show off a bit and I love to enjoy the truck and just drive it. I beat on it a bit. I don't do pulls, or even off road it. I just want a powerful truck to drive and show some local what diesels will do. I plan on doing exhuast, fmic on it and electric fan soon. I also have a solid axle conversion for it. I just want some suggestions.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
should I investigate the injectors before pushing it any harder? oh and it has a jasper performance E4OD. I just need some advice. also should I be considering a performance hpop soon too? I appreciate any advice you can provide.
thanks
brandon

·
Registered
512 Posts
Watch out when doing the EOT mod and plus a chip... too much timing and it'll put holes in your pistons! Plus I thought it was only for automatics? Whats the tps?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Wait is it the throttle position sensor?

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
alittle help

Hey man,It soulds like you got a good one.first R&R that down pipe and get those sticks flow setted.hey pm me I have alot of parts and performance parts ,like
big oil Hpop,sticks,, turbo all this stuff is brand new left over from my last up grade.so there waiting for you and yes i have a down pipe to.P.S have custom burn chip.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tps... sor pot sensor

sorry I build mustangs for a living now. I have been so used to call it a tps instead of a pot sensor. anyways I elongated the mounting holes on the pot sensor as it didn't even read 4.0 volts at wot so I elongated the holes set the base voltage to .70 volts and it bumped the top end voltage to 4.3 volts... factor it was only around .3 volts at closed throttle position. this mad so much of a difference I absolutely could not believe it. there is no more gradual dead pedal for the first inch or so of pedal it really takes off like a gasser... instantaneously. love it! this is always the first step in tuning my mustangs so I had to try it on the powerstroke.
worked great
brandon

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Watch out when doing the EOT mod and plus a chip... too much timing and it'll put holes in your pistons! Plus I thought it was only for automatics? Whats the tps?
yeah, I guess you meant to say stick shifts actually they have found it works on both I guess. either way it bumps the timing. I did notice it had less black smoke with the eot mod. b4 it would pour out some smoke .... not like a cummins but it would do it enough to piss off bicyclists and make me laugh about it.lol!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey man,It soulds like you got a good one.first R&R that down pipe and get those sticks flow setted.hey pm me I have alot of parts and performance parts ,like
big oil Hpop,sticks,, turbo all this stuff is brand new left over from my last up grade.so there waiting for you and yes i have a down pipe to.P.S have custom burn chip.
sticks flow setted? not up on terminology does this mean injectors?

·
What u talkin bout willis
2,724 Posts
DESCRIPTION ON THE EOT MOD AND ALL THE OTHER ONES THAT ARE NOT COMMON TO THE POWERSTROKE WORLD PLEASE?//

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
powerstroke mods

the eot mod. I used a 4.7k ohm resistor I spliced it in parallel on one of the wires going to the engine oil temperature sensor. it restricts a little voltage via the resistor and tells the computer the engine is cooler than it really is in order to advance the timing. I noticed a difference with it however, some of my black smoke disapeared subsequently due to the advanced timing.

also I will add that my transmission shifts so much better now after the dialing in the pot sensor. it still amazes me how little it takes for these truck to respond.

are there any other mods I need to help you out with?

10k mod is extremely popular so I assume you know that one. if not let me know. or you can call me.
brandon
1-217-201-0917

·
Registered
21 Posts
sorry I build mustangs for a living now. I have been so used to call it a tps instead of a pot sensor. anyways I elongated the mounting holes on the pot sensor as it didn't even read 4.0 volts at wot so I elongated the holes set the base voltage to .70 volts and it bumped the top end voltage to 4.3 volts... factor it was only around .3 volts at closed throttle position. this mad so much of a difference I absolutely could not believe it. there is no more gradual dead pedal for the first inch or so of pedal it really takes off like a gasser... instantaneously. love it! this is always the first step in tuning my mustangs so I had to try it on the powerstroke.
worked great
brandon
Can you explain this a little more, please. Or post a link? I've done the TPS mod on my 'stangs before, but haven't heard of a similar mod for the PS diesel.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tps

Yes it is simple actually under the dash on the driver's side you have your pedal assembly you will have an actuator switch that makes a clicking sound when pressed. it has a pigtail like an injector from a mustang has. this switch is activated at around 1.1 volts which acts as a closed to open throttle position. your engine rpm doesn't change until this switch is tripped. the tps or pot(potentiometer) switch is just above it on the pedal assembly. probe there will be three wires coming out of it. probe the top too and it will give you a base voltage reading. I have found it works best around .70 volts closed throttle and anywhere over 4.0-4.5 volts wide open throttle.

At first I pulled the tps and took a drill bit and removed the silver bushings, and elongated the holes for adjustment. I originally set the tps at around 1.0 volt base but as soon as I touched the pedal it would jump out blow the tires off into a cloud of smoke, while puking out black smoke. very cool but very uncontrollable in day to day traffic. So save yourself some time and set it at around .6-.7 volts and all should work fine as mine does.... if you have any questions buddy just give me a call I can explain it pretty easily... takes about 30 min. and the dead pedal and weird part throttle shifting of the trans totally disappeared.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sweet! Thanks bro, I'll give it a shot.

I noticed I've got some dead pedal movement before any acceleration happens, thought maybe that was normal. Hope this cures it!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
please post your results man I think it will do wonders for you. it did for me

·
Shaking the Bush Boss
9,740 Posts
Sounds like your having fun with your truck already. I know where the pot switch is, but I get lost with the enlongating the holes...are these the mounting holes you are speaking of?
Also the eot mod? i have no clue on that one.
you might try unplugging the EBV, little better mpg, and you dont have to worry about the valve closing killing your power.
welcome to the org.!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, you elongate the mounting holes on the pot sensor... it allows you to re-clock the sensor to acheive a different base voltage spec just remove the sensor and there will be the two mounting holes... use a drill bit and remove the two steel bushings, then gently elongate the holes... put it back into place and with a volt meter attached simply try to acheive between .6-.7 volts at closed throttle. then tighten it down. i would then press the pedal all the way down and make sure you see at least 4.0 volts at wide open throttle. 4.5 volts would be better but mine doesn't go that high.

on the eot mod you have two wires going to your engine oil temperature sensor, you simply cut one of them in half doesn't matter which one, then you want to solder in a 4.7k ohm resister in series ... tape it back up and you are ready to go. this advances the timing by telling your computer the engine oil is cooler than it actually is. noticeable difference.

·
Shaking the Bush Boss
9,740 Posts
thanks for the info. gives me something to do tommrow. I just spent the last 4 hours flushing my coolant system. 4 hours, I wasent in a hurry!

Check out the morinco mod. It mounts the heater plug into the bumber. Alot better than it just dangling in the wind. I have my own version of it, but its mtd in the grille. Worth wild to do it, I think. Check out my gallery pics.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Does the TPS mod help your performance at all?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes

the tps is one of the key sensors that tells the idm how much fuel to dump. essentially the voltage seen from the tps is proportionate to the output... the tps is the input signal and then it is then translated and given an output signal from idm to injectors... I have a rebuilt trans in the truck and I never did feel like it shifted as it should well with the tps mod it totally changed the manor of the truck I am seeing almost a .5 volt more now on the top end so it is sending all that voltage to the idm which translates to higher voltage output to injectors. I believe I have stage 2 injectors and i will tell you the truck will leave big thick nasty black clouds of smoke now. and the best part of all now it no longer has the hesitation or play in the pedal... its like a gasser you hit the accelerator and she is gone... loves every bit of what I did. **** this truck is touchier than my 800hp turbo'd mustang. So much fun for free... just check it out if you wanna eliminate the dead-pedal feel this mod is for you. I have done this to my mustangs for years to zero in the voltage specs to tune the cars... just never thought it would be such a huge difference on the truck. you try it and don't like it you can just set it back to where it was.
good luck
let me know if you had a good response afterwards too
brandon

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did the tps mod. I've still got dead pedal, the only difference I noticed was that now when it does accelerate, it hits harder, before it would start off pretty gently. I've got it set at .68 volts.

I'm confused about this:

"...on the driver's side you have your pedal assembly you will have an actuator switch that makes a clicking sound when pressed. it has a pigtail like an injector from a mustang has. this switch is activated at around 1.1 volts which acts as a closed to open throttle position. your engine rpm doesn't change until this switch is tripped."

If rpm's don't change until this switch (not the tps) is activated, how would setting the tps get rid of dead pedal?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts