Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just installed a 96 powerstroke into a 94. Got it fired up Saturday night. Everything seems fine except for when we go to start, cold or hot, it cranks over for 5-10 seconds before it catches and fires. We do not know how well the truck started prior due to the fact we bought the 94 with a bad motor and the 96 without hearing it start. Any ideas what this might be? My only guess is a small air leak in the fuel line which we will be looking for tongiht.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
i had a friend with the same problem, turns out his hpop oil was low. after fixing that it fired right up every time. as you said, there coul dbe an air leak as well.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'd check for an air leak somewhere first. (nice and easy) Check all the soft lines in the valley while you're at it. (unless you've already replaced them)

I had a problem where my truck would start, and then die out really smooth, like you turned the ignition off. Swapped out all the soft lines in the valley. Didn't help, but needed to be done. I then replaced the CPS, which helped a little. I then noticed the soft line coming off the passenger side valve cover and going up to a sensor was cracked. Swapped it out with a fresh one, and voila. Haven't had any issues since.

I don't know about the HPOP being low on oil, but it's probably pretty easy to top off. Might be worth checking out.

Good luck in getting it sorted out.

mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts