Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First off im new, names Luke...

I picked up this 96 F250 with 375,000kms last Christmas, drove great for the past year. I was told that it had a rear main seal leak but when i checked it it turned out it was actually just the dipstick o-ring that had gone..gooped it up using Fuel Tank PRC (aircraft stuff) and no more leaks...

Ill take you hack to the beginning of what happened here... it all started over Christmas, we drive the truck down to Edmonton Airport no problems (4hr drive). Parked it in what we thought was a powered slot at the park and fly. So we go on our Christmas trip... got to see the parents and wot not... I go from their to a course elsewhere in Ontario. Ive been gone since Christmas and only got back at the beginning of March.

My wife flew in, to find out that the parking space we parked in had no power (even though it advertised it did) and the truck was frozen solid. The truck would not start. I called the park and fly and got one of their guy to go and help, thinking they should be able to do it no problem, plug it into something else or boost it properly... instead i got a guy who jumped the battery on the drivers side, left it to charge for a few mins, then got in the truck and just pinned it. He did get it started and my wife was able to drive home. Unfortunately the truck has not started since.

My wife says that while it was running for about 30min the truck would not drive faster than 30KM/h and then when it got to full temperature it started to go faster. she says that if she let off the gas the temp gauge would just plummet. I do not know if this is relevant but i am trying to say everything.

I return home to start diagnosing... Well i need help so here i am. First i tested the batteries, they are toast. the positive terminal on the drivers side had actually fused to the clamp and was extruding from the battery housing. it was not like this before we left, i used that battery to hook up a winch to drag my Jetta onto the trailer when it died... I replaced the batteries, now it turns over faster than it ever did. Still will not start. there is no smoke coming out the exhaust at all.

Time to pull out the reader. The truck came with an Edge Evolution Programmer that has a reader built into it. I have ensured the truck is set to stock. Codes shown are P0603-PCM Processor Keep Alive Memory KAM error, and a Cam Position sensor intermittent error.

I replaced the CPS and check the codes again, now it gives me a P1111 System Passed. But it still will not start.

After doing reading online about similar problems i started looking at fuel as an issue. I drained the fuel bowel to check the filter, its all good. However, now the fuel bowel is empty and not filling when i put the key in the on position, or when i turn it over. i have zero fuel pressure. I thought there was an electric pump in the tanks and a mechanical one for the second stage. I get nothing from either tank. All the fuses are good, in the cab and under the hood.

Can anyone help me?

·
Premium Member
18,029 Posts
I'm not an expert on the obs fuel systems, but there is a mechanical fuel pump in the valley on the passenger side behind the fuel bowl. Sounds like that's your problem. I don't think there's a electric fuel pump in the tanks. The super duty trucks have a frame mounted electric fuel pump.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like a starting point. wouldn't the electric one be the one responsible for filling the bowl, then the mechanical one for sending it to the injectors tho? as it stands the bowl isn't filling back up from when i drained it...

·
Premium Member
18,029 Posts
No, there isn't a electric one in the obs trucks to my knowledge. Its only a mechanical one, like the ones mounted on the front of the 50's chevy blocks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah you're right, i think i must have taken the two stage pump to mean two pumps... rookie mistake... i really dont want to replace it after reading allt he horror stories online about the bottom end breaking off inside the engine...

whats the prospects on an electrical upgrade? does anyone make a kit or something?

·
Premium Member
18,029 Posts
look on here in the tech files and you can find where some of the guys have done a writeup on the electric fuel for the OBS trucks.....

·
Premium Member
18,029 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah there are some nice write ups too! i think i may just stick with the mechanical one now, i found one on summit racing for 96$USD. the cheapest i got quoted in town was $360. theres no junkyards for a good 200km radius from where i live to get any parts from other vehicles... found some kits online for the 99-03 7.3's from low $400 to mid $500s mind you, but none for the OBS...

·
Premium Member
18,029 Posts
That's if you do the electric fuel conversion only. It won't work on your truck as is.

·
Registered
133 Posts
check the oil on your hpop reservoir. sounds like the same codes i was having on my old 96 back when i couldnt get it to start. turned out thats what it was

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I replaced my fuel pump and it will not start.

I have fuel flow since i emptied the fuel bowel and then cranked it, and now there is fuel in it. After lots o cranking still no start.

I checked the oil too and its full. (i used to have a leak at the dip stick)

Also replaced the glow plug relay but still no start.

I removed the fuel bowl heater element because it was broken, do i need to remove a fuse if its not in the bowl anymore?

I tried using ether to start it and it fired for about 2 seconds. then died. Now when i crank it it sounds like my batteries are dead. They are now on charge.

Any advice? This truck has been down since January!

Cheers!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got it running as is. Turned the keys on, and started it by bridging the starter solenoid with pliers and spraying ether directly into the turbo... she sputtered a bit then came alive... Idled for about 10 mins and took it for a careful drive, then after about 10 mins i put my foot into it a bit. It suputters pretty bad about 2K rpm. but getting better... working out all the air bubbles i guess.

cheers all!

·
Premium Member
18,029 Posts
Good deal. Careful on the ether.....its bad for your engine and gp's

·
Premium Member
18,029 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.