Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is similar to another thread someone just started but my questions are slightly different. I've recently sold off my newer Diesel as it was just overkill to use it as a daily commuter. So now I need a reliable tow vehicle mainly for an ATV trailer but needs to be capable of towing an open car trailer and car. I've looked at 99-00 SD's but for what I'm looking to spend they are extremely high mileage and the interiors are really beat. I've always liked the 97 and older bodies and I've found that you can get 100-170k mile trucks for a decent price and in better shape.

I've run into a couple of good deals on ext cab F-250's, 4x4, 7.3L with about 160k miles. What I'm interested in is what should be looked at first for longevity? Do they a trans cooler, is it big enough? Trans temp and EGT gauges I would assume are a must. What are some safe mods I'm assuming exhaust just like the newer diesels? Intercooler? Any particular parts that are known to fail (other than automatic transmissions) on them that I should check or have replacement parts for on hand?

It's really only going to see 6-8k miles use a year mainly on weekends but since I'll be using it for traveling out to camping spots I want to make sure all the weak spots are looked at.

Bill

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
your best bet is to find one that is owned by a person, not a dealership. (just my preference) this way, as long as they are honest, they can tell you what has been done, and what problems it has had. as far as the tranny cooler, i would replace it with a bigger one. (i already been through a tranny) and the obs's do not come with intercoolers. for the obs with the e40d tranny i would recomend a tranny temp gauge so you can monitor the temp, heat is the number one killer for auto trannys.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
a 96er with that many miles on it, be concerned about the following:

1. tranny - has it been rebuilt recently??
2. fuel pump
3. water pump

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I've decided to pass on the 96 I was looking at above as there looked to be more hidden rust issues that just aren't worth me dealing with. I've found a 97 F350 with 155k miles that I'm going to look at this week that is a private seller. I agree a private seller can at least give me some feedback on what has been replaced and some history on the vehicle.

Bill

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
what is a good operating temp for the E40D tranny? what is the highest you want it to be?

·
Registered
517 Posts
what is a good operating temp for the E40D tranny? what is the highest you want it to be?
If you look up near the top of the page you will see "search" click on it then type what you need. Prior posts can give you instant info. some with pics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts