Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I want to say that this seems to be a great forum with lots of good information.

I just purchased a 96 F250 with a 5 speed and immediately found out about the "push the clutch through the firewall" issue. Mine was really tough. So this AM I went out to take a look and see what the issue was and it was the bushing.....there was none. So until I get that fixed I really needed to bypass the safety switch to make it easier to start this thing.

I used the search function here and found some info on bypassing the switch, but not specifically for the 96 model year, so I though I would pass along what I found.

Someone had posted a thread concerning this bypass on either a 95 or a 97 and I made the assumption the wiring colors would be the same on mine........WRONG. They were different, but I did not make a note of the colors on mine......brain fart. Anyway, that thread stated that the number 1 wire was +12 volt for the starter circuit and the number 2 wire was the output from the switch to the starter. That seemed like a good place to start.

I unplugged the connector and made a jumper for the #1 to #2 wires and it worked. The starter worked fine without the clutch pushed in. So I just used a couple of inline splicers and a short piece of wire to jumper between these two wires. It worked great after the plug was back in the switch. I took it for a test drive to check the CC and it still worked, so the mod was a complete success.

So, if you need to temporarily bypass the clutch safety switch on a 95, you can jumper between the #1 and #2 wires, the two closest to the firewall, and still have full use of the CC if you have it.

Hope this helps someone and thanks again for a great forum.

Hutch

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
^^^^^ Yup, even if the wire colors change from year to year, since the switch is the same, it's always the two closer to the firewall for the starter, and the two closer to the nut behind the wheel for the cruise.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
If your having a "push through the firewall issue" then it may be you bushing is worn and need fixed.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You should put a heim joint on to replace the bushing setup. Wish I had done mine a long time ago.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
OP knows s/he has to fix it; just looking for a workaround in the meanwhile. A drill stop collar on the end of the ball going through the eye-hole on the pushrod works too (cheap and easy).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts