Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm posting this for a buddy of mine... Truck is a 96 7.3l Turbo DI PS with about 150k miles on it. The truck had been sitting for a while and he is preparing to sell it. He got the truck running the other day and while it was sitting outside of the shop idling it just shut off... as if someone turned the key off. He tried starting it several times with no luck. First he changed the camshaft position sensor and that didn't rectify the situation... then a buddy of his suggested that he change out the fuel pump, he did but it still won't start. He checked fuse #22 (PCM and fuel bowl heater) and it was good. The tach does register a few RPMS while he is cranking the engine.

Where should he start looking? I've been reading a little on here and it seems like guys having this issue who take their rigs to a dealership usually have them replace a bad injector, valve cover gasket/wiring harness and IDM before the problem is fixed.

Is there an easy way to find out if an injector is bad? Will you find the coil is either shorted out or burned open?

Is there any way to test the IDM and find out if it is bad? Looks like it modulates the ground to each injector to fire it. Where is the IDM located in these trucks?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
does it have fuel gettin to the bowl?it dounless you have does sound like the idm died.is there someone you guys may know that has another 7.3 that you could swap idms to see if thats the problem? the idms not cheap and you dont want to replace that unless you have to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guy works as a mechanic for an excavation company... he said that they have a few similar trucks off site.. I will have to tell him to swap one of these out. Is water the major culprit that kills these things?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I told the dude a while back that he needed to properly bleed the lines since air was probably introduced into the system when he changed the fuel pump. Finally 3 weeks later the guy bled the lines and the truck fired right up.. thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts