Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 96 f250 and it randomly shut off in the street; I replaced the CPS and it worked well for another 50 miles and then shut off again no warning at all. Things to help diagnose include

Im getting wait to start light
my tach is moving upon cranking
Im at 1/4 rear gas tank
Fuel filter changed and refilled with diesel
Fuel bowl seems to be getting refilled
I unplugged icp with no results
I changed my IPR with no results

Any fuses i can check? what am i missing?! Please help! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Are you running on the rear tank? Try switching tanks if that's an option. If you are running on the rear tank, the "shower head" on the end of the fuel pickup tube in the tank may have disintegrated. When this happens the truck basically 'runs out of fuel" around 1/4 tank. Try measuring the fuel pressure when cranking (should be a minimum of 25 psi at 100 rpm minimum crank speed). Make sure the IPR solenoid "tin nut" is in place and snug. Cheers!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by the tin nut being snug? I tightened it with a 3/4 socket pretty good;

I have no diesel in the front tank so i will have to grab 5 gallons of diesel and pour it down the front tank;

Can i pour diesel down somewhere to start it right up and see if its a fuel problem? What if it doesnt even start with diesel right where its needed? Then we know its another problem...

Could it be my alternator? any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Make sure the fuel bowl is filled. Crank and if it starts then shuts off check the fuel bowl again and see if it is empty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just filled it up and still no start; drained the fuel bowl and cranked it over for about 10 seconds; fuel bowl is about 1/2 full

left the drain valve open and cranked and sure enough fuel is getting in there as it leaked fuel as it was cranking; im starting to think my hpop oil level is low and thats why its not starting; anyone know where the fill plug is on this? its a 1996

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you think thats the problem?

I just bought an ipr today and installed it so what else should i look for besides filling the hpop with fresh oil?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
It's the plug on the right. 1/4" plug.

Is it smoking at all while cranking? If HPOP fills and fuel bowl fills and no smoke then that means the injectors are not firing.

I'd verify fuel pressure with a gauge then you will need a scanner to perform a buzz test. With a scanner you can also see what the HPOP pressure and IPR are doing while cranking.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no smoking at all; i will fill the hpop in about an hour when i get home with oil; whats a scanner i can buy to keep in the truck?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
If you have an adroid phone then you can get a bluetooth OBD2 adapter and download the Car Gauge Pro app which will do everything for our OBS.

Most common scanners will not work so you will need one that can communicate with our trucks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i will buy a bluetooth obd scanner and get the app

Thanks so much for your help i need to get the truck running ASAP

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
You can also remove the IDM and shake it lightly and see if there's any water splashing around.

Other than that you will rely on the scanner so you aren't throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just checked the IDM and theres no water inside of it; should i still grab one to plug in and see if it makes a difference?

I want to check fuel pressure off the side of the bowl shrader valve; if its less than 25psi do i then have to add air through the valve using my compressor?

I will also go to the gas station and grab 10 gallons of diesel fuel tomorrow morning to add in the front tank and see if that makes a difference but it seems so unlikely as i added fuel directly into the bowl and got no signs of starting at all

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
What do you mean by the tin nut being snug? I tightened it with a 3/4 socket pretty good;
The "tin nut" just holds the solenoid in place, so it doesn't need to be overly tight (besides it would be easy to strip/damage it). Just something to check for, but since you just replaced the IPR (you mentioned that in a later post) it probably isn't an issue. Put some more fuel in the rear tank as well. Cheers!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
added fuel in the front and rear; running off front tank has about 3/4 full now; still wont hit; very close but nothing; where is the injectors to crack them open or can i spray some fluid? where and what do i do?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts