Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you give it gas - there is this low hissing sound and it tends to feel like it's losing a little horsepower - anybody have any idea what that could be?

Maybe a vacuum leak or something with the turbo?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

·
Registered
225 Posts
My dad is having the same problem with his. Did you figure this problem out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand it's designed to allow more air in cold weather and it's supposed to sound like that...I have found it goes away in warm weather or once it gets warmed up significantly

·
Full A-Team Member
6,407 Posts
its the EBPV. Doesnt allow more air, it closes off the exhaust to warm up the truck. When they stick closed you will have power loss. One simple easy way to test if you hear this and have power loss is to unplug the sensor with the key off. The plug is 2 wires under the turbo inlet by the intake tube. When unplugged it makes the EBPV inop and will not harm truck

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm guessing a hole in the exhaust system, I.e. blown out muffler would cause this to trigger due to low backpressure? (he needs a muffler)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm guessing a hole in the exhaust system, I.e. blown out muffler would cause this to trigger due to low backpressure? (he needs a muffler)
Diesels don't require back pressure that's why a lot of people remove the cat and muffler. The leaks that can happen in the manifolds or up pipes will cause a lack of power though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts