Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys need a little help on this one. Ok my truck has developed a problem i change the manual tranny fluid about 4 days ago. and now my truck grind when i shift from 2nd to 3rd. and it also grind when i down shift from 4th to 3rd. Need help is it my clutch or is it the synchros. :dunno:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Read post on other site, synchros.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i read it on psn i hope its not that. you have any idea of how much a rebuild cost

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump..... need to figure this out

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
what fluid did you put in?

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
It's supposed to be synthetic mercon, not sure if it makes a difference or not. The ZF uses friction cone syncros, so once they wear down, they're shot. A syncro kit is around $400.

·
Registered
800 Posts
What did you figure out?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im going to try differnt fluid this weekend have been just baby in it trying not to grind it in 3rd hope i just used the wrong oil.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so here's the latest with my trucks ZF5. so i changed the oil today to amsoil full synthetic and guess what same thing is still going on. so now i am to the conclusion that it needs a rebuild i am going to take it to a tranny shop this week to get a second opinion it, :dunno: also alberta7.3 do you have a site or a number that i can get to price out a rebuild kit. is that a total rebuild in parts. also since they will have my tranny out I'm going to replace the clutch. what company should i go with would like to here is people opion on the differnt makers such as luk, south bend, centerforce, valair, etc thank you guys for all of you advise.

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
Manual Transmission Parts

They list practically every part, and the syncro kit is 189.95
You'll probably have to get a snap ring kit and seals from ford though

·
Registered
800 Posts
Might aswell replace all the bearings while your at it. Having to get a new input shaft due to a worn bearing is expensive.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
looked in to a complete rebuild and it is about 1200. i think that is the way i going to go

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
That sounds like a fair price. Wreckers usually want $12-1500 for one that's used with a questionable history.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think i will have them put in a new clutch also. what maker would you go with bill

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
I'm running a Luk which seems good. Valair clutches are supposed to excellent.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is what the guy at the tranny shop i spoke with. said he likes is LUK. so that is probably what i will go with also should i up grade to a single mass flywheel. and also a higher HP rated clutch even though my truck is basically stock right now. but am going to up the hp as soon as i get the dam tranny prob fixed

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'd get the solid flywheel and a higher HP clutch, that way you can beat on it later when you really want to.

·
Banned
920 Posts
drivetrain.com has a complete rebuild kit for 318 with syncros and a rebuilt tranny for 1100

·
Registered
800 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts