Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I know there are a lot of threads out there about this and I have been reading them. I don't mean to beat a dead horse here but I do have a situation I haven't found an answer to. I have a cab and chassis 96 f450 I believe. The fender tag only says f-series. I got the truck from my wife's uncle who bought it in Chicago off the lot in 96, he says he thinks it was an f450 now he and I could both be wrong maybe it's a f350. Either way he took it and had a dump bed put on it. So here's my question, with it being a cab and chassis I already have leaf springs in the front. I know that a cab and chassis was the only way to get a 4x4 back then and obviously mine is 2wd. I should mention that its a dually as well. So with this truck being a cab and chassis would a swap be easier? I know I'll need a new trans and that's fine. I think the trans in it now is giving up and thats were the idea to make it 4x4 came from. Also I thought I read somewhere that the cab and chassis rear ends are narrower? If this is true would I have to get a front axle out of another cab and chassis? I would imagine my shock towers and leaf springs would work with the swap and i shouldn't have to do the conversion to the frame. Let me know what you guys think. I'm trying to get a head start as this will hopefully be one of my winter projects after I get my shop done, and the motor back in my jeep.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Leave the rear end as is, yes the rear frame rails are narrower. Find a dana 60 front axle and the dually conversion spacers, or dually front axle, 4x4 transmission, transfer case, and driveshafts and your good to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leave the rear end as is, yes the rear frame rails are narrower. Find a dana 60 front axle and the dually conversion spacers, or dually front axle, 4x4 transmission, transfer case, and driveshafts and your good to go.
Is there anywhere I can buy the dually spacers? Or what year front dually axle would work with my truck?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Google dually spacers, buy the steel units. They arent very cheap so dont he shocked when you cant find steel units for less than $400.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
80 thru 97. IIRC up to 91 will be king pin, 92-97 will be ball joint. Keep a eye on eBay and craigs list, conversion adapters show up occasionally

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I honestly don't know if it will even bolt under the truck. The lug pattern is different from an obs pattern so different rims are needed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts