Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
This is my first discussion so please bear with me. I have a 95 F250 Super Cab Long bed with a tuner installed. I bought it a while back knowing it was going to be a project so I knew I had some work ahead of me, but it ran great for about a week when I got it. Then on a long drive home there was a loud bang around the center of the cab and I lost power. Meaning the engine was still running it rev'd high but it didn't match the vehicle speed. I had it towed home and the following day it started with no issues and when I put it in reverse the RPMs matched the speed of the truck moving so for a brief moment I thought it might be fine, but once I put it in drive it can/will rev high but will barely move. I'm lucky if I can get it to 5mph without redlining it (you can hear the turbo whistling).
With all that said I naturally thought the trans went out on me and I replaced it. Unfortunately that wasn't the case and it didn't fix the problem. This prompted me to go back and look at the engine and I noticed it had weak fuel pressure, it was around 10ish PSI. I fixed that by changing out the stock mechanical system and going to EFuel. I thought for sure this would fix it... but it didn't. I also looked at the turbo to see if it was damaged, didn't find any play in the turbo.

I tried to drive it without the tuner installed and even sent the tuner back to the manufacturer to see if it was bad. It did not change anything.

To summarize, the engine started fine with the old mechanical fuel setup no codes or anything weird. Power and rpms match vehicle movement in reverse but not in any drive gear. Changed transmission, no change to the problem. Changed to eFuel, no change to problem.

I could really use some help with this.

Thanks for any help and I will keep this post updated with my progress. Just in case anyone else runs into this issue.
Cheers!

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Jack the rear up and run it. If it still struggles then you have an issue in the rear end/brakes. If it revs fine and shifts then jack up the front and see if anything is seized up front.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
@White95f250
I will jack it up and run it to see if it changes anything. But I don't think it will be the rear brakes since I just replaced the drums, shoes, and all the hardware. Plus the front drive shaft is missing so I don't think I have an issue in the front. Like I said it's a bit of a project truck.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
So … tranny slipping or is the brakes dragging in one direction?? -- Will the truck roll forward on a flat surface by hand? -- engine revs in forward(like in neutral) or is the engine loaded?

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
double post

·
Registered
474 Posts
Maybe not the rear brakes, but maybe the rear gears itself? I'd jack it up and run in and see what's going on

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello everyone,
This is my first discussion so please bear with me. I have a 95 F250 Super Cab Long bed with a tuner installed. I bought it a while back knowing it was going to be a project so I knew I had some work ahead of me, but it ran great for about a week when I got it. Then on a long drive home there was a loud bang around the center of the cab and I lost power. Meaning the engine was still running it rev'd high but it didn't match the vehicle speed. I had it towed home and the following day it started with no issues and when I put it in reverse the RPMs matched the speed of the truck moving so for a brief moment I thought it might be fine, but once I put it in drive it can/will rev high but will barely move. I'm lucky if I can get it to 5mph without redlining it (you can hear the turbo whistling).
With all that said I naturally thought the trans went out on me and I replaced it. Unfortunately that wasn't the case and it didn't fix the problem. This prompted me to go back and look at the engine and I noticed it had weak fuel pressure, it was around 10ish PSI. I fixed that by changing out the stock mechanical system and going to EFuel. I thought for sure this would fix it... but it didn't. I also looked at the turbo to see if it was damaged, didn't find any play in the turbo.

I tried to drive it without the tuner installed and even sent the tuner back to the manufacturer to see if it was bad. It did not change anything.

To summarize, the engine started fine with the old mechanical fuel setup no codes or anything weird. Power and rpms match vehicle movement in reverse but not in any drive gear. Changed transmission, no change to the problem. Changed to eFuel, no change to problem.

I could really use some help with this.

Thanks for any help and I will keep this post updated with my progress. Just in case anyone else runs into this issue.
Cheers!
Sounds like your transmission is bad

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm with the guys above, sounds like a trans or drive train issue to me, especially with the bang under the middle of the truck. Turbo issues would show up even at low rpms, with revs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey everyone,
Just letting you know I haven't forgotten about this post. Things are just a little wild right now as I'm sure all of you are feeling the brunt of what's going on as well. I just haven't had a chance to try what everyone suggested.

I really don't think it's the trans since I installed a brand new one and it still has the same symptoms. But, I'm kind of thinking transfer case??? I've read a few forum/articles that mention the arm inside the magnesium case will wear down the groove it slides in. I'm just skeptical that the T-case is the problem since driving the truck in reverse seems to be fine. But I could be wrong.

Thanks again for all the input and I will hopefully have a chance to try everything this weekend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone,
I'm back by unpopular demand!
Just kidding but really.

So just to give an update. It looks like the T-Case poo'd the bed. I was able to get a used one for cheap and have it mounted up. I just need to reconnect the driveshaft and take it for a spin.

While I'm here I have two additional questions.
What T-case was on a 95 f250? I'm asking because everything I read says it should be a BW1356. But I have a BW4407...
Next question, Does anyone have a part number for the boot on the rear driveshaft? or a link to one. I can't find one at any of the part stores and I called ford twice and each time they gave me a different part number with a different price. The way they answered did not make me feel confident that it was the right part.

But thank you for all the help and suggestions. Hopefully I can get a new boot soon and get it on the road to see if it worked.

Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts