Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have '95 E350 7.3 PS That is having intermittent starting problems. 250,000 mi
The reservoir for the HP pump periodically drains. I may go weeks without a problem, or it may be the day after I drive it. It will start on starting fluid and run fine after oil pressure comes up. The motor was rebuilt after a cracked cylinder, and shortly after that it started with this problem.

Last weekend, it would not start for the first time and I had to add a 1.5 Qt oil to the HP reservoir in order to get it to started.

My question is what controls this reservoir. Is there a check valve somwhere?
My FORD dealer where the van is at, says that Ford "thinks" it is the solonoid assembly (about $500) or a cracked front cover. I would think that a cracked cover would allow it to drain everytime, not intermittently. They won't guarantee the solonoid will fix it.

I want some input before throwing money at it.ASAP
Thanks

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
If it were my truck, I'd check the IPR. A cracked front cover could be the case if the person that put your motor back together used the wrong gasket for the resevoir. You should be getting oil on the ground if that's the case though.

Let us know...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There isn't any external oil leakage.
When running we get between 22-24mpg
It appears to be what ever maintains the level of oil in the HP reservoir after it is shutdown is the problem. I can't find an oil system schematic to see what goes on.
I don't know if the oil is bleeding out of the system through the HP pump or if there is a solonoid that holds the oil level/pressure etc.
I'm sorry I'm not familiar enough to know the routing of the oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts