Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

95 7.3 spraying fuel

6K views 25 replies 4 participants last post by  TexasAggie09 
#1 ·
I pulled into the HEB parking lot this afternoon and smelled a strong smell of diesel. I shut the truck off and got out and I'm POURING fuel from the bottom of my truck under the engine. The heads are wet as is the turbo and a lot of the engine compartmen. With the engine on, fuel is spraying up from underneath and to the left (pass. Side) of that plasic cover on top. At a quick glance it looks like it's coming from a line possibly. The engine runs fine and I limped home. Any ideas what this is? I'm afraid I'm going to lose all my fuel among other things.

#3 ·
I've been reading up on the fuel separator valve and how it can leak (due to the o-rings) but I'm still not convinced that that is what's leaking. I haven't had much time to mess with this this weekend but I did snap a few pictures and take a video of what's going on. Does anyone have any insight based on these pictures/video? Thanks!

#5 ·
What exactly do those fuel plugs do? I'm totally new to diesel engines...would the best thing for me to do be to get all those harnesses out of the way and see what I can find?

#8 ·
I appreciate the offer...even if we can't do that. Either of those things...fuel line to the FPR (what the heck is the FPR? fuel pressure regulator?) or the fuel plug...are those expensive/difficult to fix? I'm pretty mechanically inclined but my "garage" is an apartment parking lot and I'm a broke college kid. Should I just start unhooking the harnesses and whatnot on top and try to drill down to the leak?

#12 ·
Thanks guys, I'll see about pinpointing this "leak" tomorrow after class. I'll report back with what I find.

On a side note...do they make a Haynes Manual for the 7.3 OBS? I found one for the OBS but it was gas engines...

#15 ·
Has that fuel filter recently been changed? (Couldn't upload the video, so I didn't see how that turned out). That beveled gasket can get pushed out of its groove if overtightened... doesn't take much to do that (my OBS did that once after I changed my filter:doh:)

#20 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll get all those harnesses and whatnot out of the way tomorrow after class and snap some pictures and see what it looks like

#21 · (Edited)
Well I took some things off this afternoon and found the culprit. It's the hose pictured below. You can see where the cracks and the hole are. What exactly is this hose (what is it called), what does it connect, and where's the best place to find a new one? At this point I don't even know what it's called to call up a Ford dealership for it. Thanks for all the help again guys

That's an awful lot of fuel to lose from such a small hole...I hope I didn't spring a leak in one of my lifters at the same time...I know one was already leaking very slowly...

The hose follows the red line and the boxed are is about where it sprung a leak (under the wiring harness that looks like a cross)

#22 ·
i would have to agree with nccatfan and say that looks like a fuel return line. the pump pushes the fuel to the rear end of the head under the firewall. then comes back to the bowel. and it can push a lot of fuel out of that small hole since the fuel system is under a lot of pressure.

#23 ·
I'll run over to the Ford dealership tomorrow and see if we can't ID this part and get it on order. Silly to think such a small hose is keeping the truck from running right. Really makes you appreciate the engineering that goes into something this complex

#26 ·
Fuel return line indeed...put in a new one today and problem solved! Thanks for all the help, this place is great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.