Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled into the HEB parking lot this afternoon and smelled a strong smell of diesel. I shut the truck off and got out and I'm POURING fuel from the bottom of my truck under the engine. The heads are wet as is the turbo and a lot of the engine compartmen. With the engine on, fuel is spraying up from underneath and to the left (pass. Side) of that plasic cover on top. At a quick glance it looks like it's coming from a line possibly. The engine runs fine and I limped home. Any ideas what this is? I'm afraid I'm going to lose all my fuel among other things.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been reading up on the fuel separator valve and how it can leak (due to the o-rings) but I'm still not convinced that that is what's leaking. I haven't had much time to mess with this this weekend but I did snap a few pictures and take a video of what's going on. Does anyone have any insight based on these pictures/video? Thanks!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What exactly do those fuel plugs do? I'm totally new to diesel engines...would the best thing for me to do be to get all those harnesses out of the way and see what I can find?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Its either a fuel plug or one of the lines that go to the FPR ruptured!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If you were closer to the DFW area I would come fix it for you but your like 4-5 hours from me.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you were closer to the DFW area I would come fix it for you but your like 4-5 hours from me.
I appreciate the offer...even if we can't do that. Either of those things...fuel line to the FPR (what the heck is the FPR? fuel pressure regulator?) or the fuel plug...are those expensive/difficult to fix? I'm pretty mechanically inclined but my "garage" is an apartment parking lot and I'm a broke college kid. Should I just start unhooking the harnesses and whatnot on top and try to drill down to the leak?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I appreciate the offer...even if we can't do that. Either of those things...fuel line to the FPR (what the heck is the FPR? fuel pressure regulator?) or the fuel plug...are those expensive/difficult to fix? I'm pretty mechanically inclined but my "garage" is an apartment parking lot and I'm a broke college kid. Should I just start unhooking the harnesses and whatnot on top and try to drill down to the leak?
FPR is Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Both should be reasonable to fix! Try to move wires around and pin point where its spraying from.

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
FPR is Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Both should be reasonable to fix! Try to move wires around and pin point where its spraying from.
with out getting your hand chopped off from the fan and belt.

just dig around with it off and look for any thing that will show where a leak can come from.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
with out getting your hand chopped off from the fan and belt.

just dig around with it off and look for any thing that will show where a leak can come from.
I forgot about that!:doh:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, I'll see about pinpointing this "leak" tomorrow after class. I'll report back with what I find.

On a side note...do they make a Haynes Manual for the 7.3 OBS? I found one for the OBS but it was gas engines...

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
they do but imo its crap. get a online subscription to alldatadiy.com or somewhere equivant . we have most of our vechicles in it.
+1:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Has that fuel filter recently been changed? (Couldn't upload the video, so I didn't see how that turned out). That beveled gasket can get pushed out of its groove if overtightened... doesn't take much to do that (my OBS did that once after I changed my filter:doh:)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Has that fuel filter recently been changed? (Couldn't upload the video, so I didn't see how that turned out). That beveled gasket can get pushed out of its groove if overtightened... doesn't take much to do that (my OBS did that once after I changed my filter:doh:)
Its spraying way to the left (passenger side) of the filter housing. So its not the housing!

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
the vid shows like its shooting out of a fuel plug on the head or the hose by the pass head.

come to think of it. i dont think theres a fuel plug there. just oil.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Its spraying way to the left (passenger side) of the filter housing. So its not the housing!
Oops, guess i missed that:dunno:

Edit: Got the video to work this time, still can't get a good look at where its coming from (sorry i guessed wrong before). Is that a fuel return line coming from that head routed under that harness? Try following that.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll get all those harnesses and whatnot out of the way tomorrow after class and snap some pictures and see what it looks like

1 - 20 of 26 Posts