Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PSD runs away and clacks like crazy.... Any ideas ??? The tanks have been drained (One replaced) in the last 2 weeks and still the same problems. :dunno:

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Describe what it is doing when you say it is running away.

How are you stopping the engine from running. If your turning the key off and it shuts down then that is not a run away engine. If your removing the fuel or air from the engine, because it will not stop running when you turn the key off. Then you have a run away engine.

Did you mess with the fuel delivery system on the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will rev up by itself. Hold the brakes and it burns out. (Not a true run away)
Blows smoke like crazy and clacks like hell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the PM - I have checked the turbo and air intake for oil blow by. Very minimal and only at high RPM. I did find the oil to be a few quarts over full. I’m am sending out a sample to get it checked for fuel dilution.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I knew powerstrokes had alot of power, but running away....put a leash on that thing:hehe:

Well I hope you figure out whats wrong:thumb:

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well - I ran the Cylinder contribution test and did a buzz test with no errors. If the injectors were worn out by water in the fuel, would it pour fuel into the cylinders ? It is a interminten problem.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Throttle position sensor maybe?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I doubt it is the app because there is an idle validation switch that must be opened before the PCM allows any fuel enrichment. I would look at Mass fuel desired, and pulse width, icp as well as throttle pos. idle validation, to determine if the pcm is requesting the enrichment or if the fuel is coming from another source which is my guess due to it's being over full on oil. Have you adjusted the oil level, and does it still do it?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Now that you mention it, you're right. I hear mine 'click' every time I touch the go pedal. I wonder if the O.P. can verify the same.... ? Great point !:bump:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It finally ran the cylinder contribution test corectly (3 times) and code P0269 came up. No other codes or failures.
I changed the CPS for the heck of it (Had a spare in the truck) It has only done it once after that. I hooked up the laptop again and it ran fine.
Where can I find a list of Mass fuel desired, Injector control pressure, etc. Specs.
As I increased RPM the MASS Fuel Desired goes down

1 - 12 of 12 Posts