Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I have a 94.5 powerstroke. It has the OBD2 plug under the glove box area. I wasn't able to pull any code data from the obd2 port, so I did a bunch of reading / searching on this forum and read about people swapping in 96+ computers to enable pulling complete code data via OBD2.

I bought the 96 computer and swapped it in. Truck runs fine, but I still get no codes via OBD2 port.

Did I do something wrong, do I need to do other mods to get OBD2 to work???

· Registered
4,223 Posts
its not truely OBDII. what are you usign to pull codes?

you will need somethign fro old shcool ford. like AE with the Ford package or one of the other brands who i do not recall at the moment.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried numerous scanners via the obd2 (including two different pin setups in obd2 plugs) and never gotten any signal / data out of that plug.

Have gotten signals/codes via the EECu port under hood.

· Registered
4,223 Posts
if its an off the shelf OBDII scanner it wont read. youll have to find someone with a scanner that can read it.

i.e. in AE, (Auto Enginuity) your connection settings should be set to J1850PWM and not auto detect or OBDII. and AE needs the Ford Bundle - extra $$. but as stated there are other scanners that will read but i dont recall what they are.

the 94-97 trucks have an OBDII port but arent OBDII. i hear when reflashed they are more OBDII compatable???

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I gathered from other posts/threads on this topic, the 94 and 95 are as you described.... OBD2 plugs, but not OBD2 compatible. Which is why (according to those threads) many guys swapped computers up to 96/97 computers (i.e. then they said that they could pull OBD2 codes.

That is why I swapped out my computer too. However, I am still not able to pull any codes via the OBD2 port.

Hoping that somebody else who has done the swap can explain/clairify if I misunderstood those threads about computer swaps... or if I need to do something else in order to read via the OBD2 port with the upgraded/updated computer.

· Registered
4,223 Posts
hoepfully they will chime in. but unless the the 96 computer has been reflashed i doubt an OBDII reader will see it. but i dont have any expirience with that. so heres a bump for ya!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.