Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its a 93 7.3, 308,000 miles and still running strong, when it runs.

The problem is this, turn key to start, watch the wait to start light, when it goes out, the voltage gauge still clicks 4-6 times or so like always if I let it, turn the key to start, it turns over, and turns over, and turns over, and turns over, and sounds dead. You can just hear that its not getting fuel, not even popping or sputtering, just the usual pulse when it tries to start, but its a hollow sound. Crank, (and let starter cool between cranks) for sometimes 2 minutes, some times 25 minutes on and off. When it finally does start, I can hear thats its going to start two or three revolutions before it fires, you can just hear that fuel is finally reaching the cylinders. Some times it seems like pumping the pedal helps, but since there's no consistency with when it happens and what fixes it, I don't know that it really does any thing. Once it runs, it runs. Runs fine like nothing ever happened, run it for 45 highway miles to work, no sweat. Turn it off and go to start it 15 minutes later, sometimes it starts like it used to, sometimes it acts up.

My only theory is that the electric servo/valve/whatever blocks fuel flow to shut it off is sticking shut once it is turned off. ANy thoughts? So far its just embarrassing and inconvenient but I know that at some point I'm going to get stranding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Case-in-point, Drove home from work for 50 minutes, ran fine. Went to start it 30 minutes later to pull it into garage to change oil, won't start. Write this post. Went out five minutes ago after reading what ever I could on the forum, started right up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts