Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 89 f350 dually. 7.3 5 speed. What is easiest fix to get higher speed at lower rpm? Change rear gears? It has a Dana 80. Just seams to be screaming at 55 mph. Tach does not work

·
Registered
212 Posts
Jack the rear end up so you can spin the rear wheels. Tranny in neutral. Mark the driveshaft with a chalk mark. Spin the tire one revolution and count the number of times the driveshaft rotates. Driveshaft rotates 3 1/2 times you have 3.50 gears. 4 times and you have 4.00 ratio. Etc.

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I jacked up rear end and drive shaft spun 2.5 turns. Does that mean it as a 2.5 gears? Never heard of that low. And doesn’t help me change gears to drop rpm?!?

·
Registered
212 Posts
So I jacked up rear end and drive shaft spun 2.5 turns. Does that mean it as a 2.5 gears? Never heard of that low. And doesn’t help me change gears to drop rpm?!?
It wouldn't be 2.50. My guess is it turned 3.5 times. Make sure you rotate the wheel one full rotation. I normally use the valve stem and start with it down at 6 o'clock. A chalk mark on the driveshaft makes it easier to see.

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts