Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,any experience with solutions to a hard to start 6.9? At the moment I park on a hill and only use it for demo runs to the dump.It will roll start fine but after sitting 10 minutes or longer it's a bear to start with the starter motor.Is there a better starter to try to spin it over faster.I don't use it enough to get too carried away,but it sure would be nice to be able to park without planning for a roll start ha ha.Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
3 things

1-- are batteries good and have they been tested

2-- the cables on those models were extremely bad to corrode and cause hugh resistance in the wiring between the batteries and the starter

3-- the starter is going bad and dragging

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
That sounds about right to me. Sounds like air is getting into the system if you can start it fine if you try to start it again before that 10 min you said. Yes the stock battery cables suck, mine are going to get replaced soon. My truck used to start on the first revolution anything above 40*, below 40* it might take 3 revolutions to start. Then my batteries went dead after the painters somehow drained the batteries down bigtime. My batteries wouldnt even take a charge, I charged them up and went for a drive into town to go visit my grandparents (to show them the truck after paint, they gave me my truck for my 15 b-day). I needed fuel so I pull in, fill up, go to crank, and it spun over 3 times before it gave up. Had to get a jump from a cummins :doh:. I went and installed new 750cca batteries, and thought it would be all good. Come to find out that after taking out the battiers and moving the battery cables, it must have screwed them up some cause now my truck starts slow. I have an 18* cold start here, starts right when it takes the first crank. Kinda hard to time when to start cranking over when you push the button on the camera with a delay. YouTube - 6.9 diesel 18 degree cold start

1 - 4 of 4 Posts