Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i have a chance to buy a 89 f-250 7.3 idi 2wd how fast and how much power can i make this thing have while keeping it "street legal" i drive a dodge and i know yall dont like um but thats what i got but id like a change and i want to go to ford so let me no what i can do thanks o and it already has an ats turbo installed 20,000 miles after it was purchased is that good or bad???

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
it depends on how much money you want to spend, upgraded turbo is always good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
money really isnt a problem when it comes to this :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its an 89 i didnt mean to say 86 lol o ya i guess i forgot to mention my 06 chevy 3/4 ton :hehe:

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Ok Mr. Money Pockets, your not going to get a lot of power. It is an IDI engine, no turbo, no intercooler, mechanical injection pump. Really it was a great work horse but not meant to be built up and raced.

If your wanting to build a 7.3L I would look into at 97 and newer. As they are the Powerstroke engines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
can we get back to the horsepower numbers?

·
Registered
377 Posts
HP numbers are low, Torque Numbers are Low.

Like I said they are a great work horse engine but not meant to be built up.
Agreed.

It's as pointless as building up a 6.2 or 6.5 chevy detroit. It's just not there, save your money and put it into something more logical OP. Kthnxbye.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so is there no possible way for like 400 hp i just think it would be cool to be someone in an old school ford

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
so is there no possible way for like 400 hp i just think it would be cool to be someone in an old school ford
You could get the truck, buy a newer powerstroke 7.3L and build it up. Then install it into this old body. The ability to do that is there.

But to get 400hp out of a mechanical injection pump IDI engine. The aftermarket does not support this engine. So to do so you would have to do a lot of things yourself. Or take the risk of blowing the engine up by throwing a 500hp shot of nitrous on the engine.

·
back to business
3,551 Posts
ok guys i have a chance to buy a 89 f-250 7.3 idi 2wd how fast and how much power can i make this thing have while keeping it "street legal" i drive a dodge and i know yall dont like um but thats what i got but id like a change and i want to go to ford so let me no what i can do thanks o and it already has an ats turbo installed 20,000 miles after it was purchased is that good or bad???
its an 89 i didnt mean to say 86 lol o ya i guess i forgot to mention my 06 chevy 3/4 ton :hehe:
UMMM, and do ya got a DODGE, or a CHEVY??? Sorry, just a little confused here.

You could always take the 89 Ford, pull the engine, and drop in a Cummins or D-MAX. Might be the best of both (or all three) worlds for ya. (Maybe do a Cummins to an Allison in a Ford :dunno:) I wouldn't do it, but it might work for you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts