Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a new turbo with a .84 A/R for quick spooling & efficiency at lower RPM's. I don't plan on doing any towing for a good while & the bed doesn't usually have too much weight in it at any given time, so I don't feel surge will be a problem. Any suggestions? I've found only two with a .84 A/R, a stock turbo and the Turbo Thruster.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Those are the only 2 really.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured. I looked and looked, but thought maybe I didn't look hard enough. Thank you for getting back to me though.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I'm looking into getting a new turbo with a .84 A/R for quick spooling & efficiency at lower RPM's. I don't plan on doing any towing for a good while & the bed doesn't usually have too much weight in it at any given time, so I don't feel surge will be a problem. Any suggestions? I've found only two with a .84 A/R, a stock turbo and the Turbo Thruster.
Your STOCK turbo has a .84 housing... and they suck nuts. They run out of steam at the mid-high end. Why would you replace your current .84 turbo with another .84 turbo?

If you are wanting better turbo operation, grab yourself a 1.0 housing. It will help greatly with mid-top end power and lower drive pressures.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
^ whs. Go to a 1.0 if housing or even a van turbo with a 1.5. Mine doesn't drop off on the top end like it used to.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I'd advise against the 1.15 unless you have a lot of fuel pushing it or else your gonna have some ugly lag

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Same thing I told you else where... You do NOT want a .84 housing on an upgraded turbo. Not sure what your thinking it will do for you, but a 38R with a 1.00 exhaust housing will spool faster then your stock turbo, with less drive pressure and lower boost numbers... All while making more HP and lower EGT's.

I know you think you know better then what everyone is telling you, but I have run well over 15 different turbo set ups on this truck...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't claim to know better than anyone on here in any one of my posts. I asked a question, & I'm getting responses. I appreciate everyone's time that they've taken to address this. Especially yours, as you've had over 15 turbo set ups. You spent the money, I have access to the info you've gained. I very much appreciate your input as well as everyone else who had relative info to share.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Same thing I told you else where... You do NOT want a .84 housing on an upgraded turbo. Not sure what your thinking it will do for you, but a 38R with a 1.00 exhaust housing will spool faster then your stock turbo, with less drive pressure and lower boost numbers... All while making more HP and lower EGT's.

I know you think you know better then what everyone is telling you, but I have run well over 15 different turbo set ups on this truck...
This is the man right here :thumb:

You need to keep your *** around the ORG more often we need you over here!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts