Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldnt find the right place to put this, so I put it here, does anyone drive? on know what kind of fuel mileage these old Mercedes get with the 5 cyl. diesel? im interested in purchasing one, ive heard any where from 15-19, to 35-40. and I would like to hear it from someone that has hands on experiences with it. thanks.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well then I guess theres really no point of buying one, because my truck gets that good or bad based on point of view. I guess i need to look for a jetta diesel.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was a Mercedes mechanic for 2 years and have only driven 240 D's since high school so i can say the since the SD models which are on the 126 chassis are heavier than the 123, so the 300 SD's (turbo) will get around 23 mpg. The 300 D (turbo) in the smaller 123 chassis will get in the upper 20's to low 30's mpg. If you get the smaller 240 (4 cylinder) D which never had the turbo available got about 20 since it was waay underpowered. If i were in the market for one of these i would choose the 300 D Turbo in the 123 chassis for better MPGs and maintainence/parts for the 123 are much cheaper than the bigger 126 which destroys ball joints/bushings/shocks/tie rod ends/sway bars in no time because of their weight.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do i know which chassis is which?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
heck I would take the engine for my CJ project.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think im gonna look for the 123 chassis then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts