Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know previously i have stated that i wanted to do a high hp 7.3 build for my truck, but doin some messin around and such, i remembered a friend of mines step dad was talkin about the 8.3 Cummins. well, i got to thinking, why not do something off the wall??? im now deciding to do a 8.3 Cummins built to the hill twin turbo and totally wild in my 97 F350 RCLB that im pickin up this summer. i know this engine is heavy as HE!! so im shure i will have to upgrade the leaf springs up front as well as upgrade to a Dana 80 front axle. will be upgrading the rear axle as well to a AAM 11.5. only thing im waiting on is him to reply to me with dimensions on the 8.3 engine (length, width, such and such) and about good performance mods and whether or not i can mate a NV5600 6 speed manual out of a 98 to 02 ram hd! if it sounds like it will work or if i can make it work im gonna do it! too many 7.3s and 5.9s out there. GO BIG OR GO HOME!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
why not take a t466 international motor with a ppump and put it in your truck?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tend to like Cummins more. especially for there aftermarket. and i would love to have a 505ci diesel

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
drop a Cat C-7 or C-9...sweet !!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think that would be fun to put a 8.3 in!!!!! I have always wanted to find a larger engine, but the one I find are always too large...... N14, M10 or a C-9.

What trans would you run with the 8.3?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont want the electronics of the c-series Cats, that and im not a real big fan of the smaller Cats after working with them so much in the military. rather gutless IMO compared to a lot of Cummins. that and Cummins has a lot more torque. and im not shure on Cats aftermarket oppurtunities. but i appreciate the ideas.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that would be fun to put a 8.3 in!!!!! I have always wanted to find a larger engine, but the one I find are always too large...... N14, M10 or a C-9.

What trans would you run with the 8.3?
im looking to see if a NV5600 6 speed out of a 98-02 ram 3500 with the 5.9 will bolt up otherwise incorporating a 9 speed or something along them lines

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
good luck...hope it works out 4 u...id take the back of the truck and put an older C-15 Cat in the bed...LoL !!!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha, now that would be interesting to see

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
LoL...yes...dont kno if the truck would wanna move, but would be sweet lookin !!!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what would be a transmission that would fit in a OBS truck without doing a body lift to put behind this if the NV5600 dont work out?? i see on some other forums some guys are talking about a Road Ranger 9spd overdrive. but i will not do a body lift for gooseneck hitch reasons and such

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
have you ever thought of putting an old 53 series two stroke v6?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
havent thought of one. for me a two stroke would be a pain due to the fact i would never remember to buy the oil.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
no there not two strokes like that you jus run regular diesel as fuel and put the oil where you regurally would on a 4 stroke

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i dunno, my friends step dad seems to know some wicked things about cummins straight 6s so im goin to have him help me out when i find a 8.3 to build

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
yeah theres another guy on here that already got an 8.3 with a mediuim duty ally behind it and hes replacing it his 12v for it. but yeah i've always wanted to put a 6v53t into something they make some good power and they sound extremely loud

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
ooop[s too late thats the other guy i was talkin about

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, i remember that thread. i dont remember what size that motor is though

·
Powerstroke Mod Syndrome
74 Posts
that 8.3 sounds like it would be badazz you should talk to the guys at triple D in coon rapids big cummins guys.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts