Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up Strokers!!

Calling all automotive electrical geniuses'!! I picked up a fifth wheel camper about 3 months ago and during my pre-trip inspection. i notice that my clearance lights (which i am pretty confident should be the "running lights" pin) do not light up when my headlights are on. all other functions on the trailer work. Brakes, Turn signals, reverse, etc. just not my clearance lights. i have checked the fuses and relays under the hood and in the kick panel. i am really hoping that the answer isnt ripping my entire trailer vehicle harness out and replacing. i dont even know where it runs to after the bumper to begin chasing wires. has anyone else seen this? thanks in advance for any help guys and girls!!

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Do you have power at the 7 way on the running light pin? If not, it's in the truck. If so, it's in the trailer. Do the tail lights on the trailer light up with the headlights on? If so, it's in the trailer.
I can't remember if the circuits are powered when there is no trailer connected so maybe a cheap 7 way tester would help.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Make sure all the pins are clean and corrosion free. I have to clean mine about once a month to keep the lights on. Truck is stainless or aluminum and trailer is brass. They don’t like each other...LOL

I bought the cleaning tool ( brush, file, scraper, tester)
IPA Tools Innovative Products of America 8028 7-W... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Z311PS

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have power at the 7 way on the running light pin? If not, it's in the truck. If so, it's in the trailer. Do the tail lights on the trailer light up with the headlights on? If so, it's in the trailer.
I can't remember if the circuits are powered when there is no trailer connected so maybe a cheap 7 way tester would help.
No power on the running light pin. I too the trailer to the dealer and they plugged it into basically a 12 volt battery that applies power to all the pins and all the lights came on properly. I'm 99% sure it's in the truck. Just Dont know what to look at next

2000 SRW F-350 ECSB 7.3(sold)
2008 SRW F-350 CCLB King Ranch 6.4 (Sold)
2015 F-250 CCLB XLT 6.7
"Dear Information Technology Gods of the Universe"

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
No power on the running light pin. I too the trailer to the dealer and they plugged it into basically a 12 volt battery that applies power to all the pins and all the lights came on properly. I'm 99% sure it's in the truck. Just Dont know what to look at next

2015 F-250 CCLB XLT 6.7
Gotcha. From the 1st post I couldn't tell. There is a fuse in the Battery Junction Box and also a relay for the trailer lights. The BCM has a micro switch (I believe) that is not replaceable. The relay in the BJB is. I thought I had saved the wiring diagram I had but I cannot find it. I was figuring how to hook up reverse lights.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
On my 6.0, I can drop my spare tire and get a good look at the wiring for my seven pin. Probably the same for a 6.7. Might see something came loose.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
^^ Yes. It comes down the frame rail and the connectors for the 5th wheel pig tail are on the passenger side. That would be another good spot to check for power and connection.

Reactions: seahawksax

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just went through this on my '16 someone had poked a test light into my trailer wiring about 2-3 inches from the connector towards the front of truck beside spare and it had corroded so i cut about 1/2 inch on either side of the corrosion and used a shrinkable butt connector lights work great now.

Randy

Reactions: seahawksax

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just went through this on my '16 someone had poked a test light into my trailer wiring about 2-3 inches from the connector towards the front of truck beside spare and it had corroded so i cut about 1/2 inch on either side of the corrosion and used a shrinkable butt connector lights work great now.

Randy
I need to check for that! Totally possible they cut something when the bags were installed

2015 F-250 CCLB XLT 6.7

·
Registered
2013 F350 Long Bed 4x4 Lariat
4 Posts
Check your fuses in the main panel under the hood on the drivers side near the fire wall behind the coolant reservoir. I just bought a 2013 a few weeks ago and went to hook up to my 5th wheel and no lights what so ever. Upon further investigation and a look in the owners manual I pulled all the fuses related to trailer lighting, braking and charging and they were all blown except for the one that controlled the trailer brake. Replaced them all and everything worked as they should. I'm thinking water or a wrongly wired trailer plug from he previous owner shorted and blew them. My previous 2001 f250 would do a similar thing and blow the trailer light fuses when towing doubles and turned on the headlights due to moisture accumulating in the plug end of the trailer I would tow behind my 5th wheel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts