Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well i was at work, working:hehe:....... and a friend just jot him a 6.0 and i drove it, and well the 5r110 is REALLY nice and SO is the 7.3 so my question for every one is would it be worth it or not, Maybe HELP MPG with a 5 speed vs a 4.. and Can it be done???

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
From what I have been told is no you can not install the 5R110 into a truck with a 7.3L. At least not yet. Maybe some company will make a conversion kit in the future.

·
Registered
145 Posts
PCS - Powertrain Control Solutions currently has a stand alone controller under development for the 5R110.

And I believe that Bean's may be making an adapter for it. This is currently being discussed on another forum.

·
Registered
521 Posts
So what would be cheaper- a 5R110 or an auxillary trans like the Gear Vendor unit.

It would give you the advantage of overdrive and underdrive for every gear. And it can go in right now.

·
Registered
193 Posts
the gear venders isn't cheap but neither is all the stuff to put one in a 7.3.
I would imagine 4wd would only add to the fun.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
For the price of the 5r110, controller, and adapters... you would have one hell of a 4r100 that would be hard pressed to be busted.
I agree, Dirk. Go with a built JW or BTS tranny and be done with it. IMO, that would be the best way to put the power to the ground...

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't think he was asking about pounding on it, he was talking about having the extra gear for the fuel economy?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I agree with dirk... spend the money on the tranny u already have... its probably better spent on the 4r100

I do think that a 7.3 with a 5r110 is a good idea though

·
Ole White
5,253 Posts
I also wanted to do the swap before I got my tranny built a year ago but as others said you can have a badazz 4r100 for cheaper than a 5r100 swap yet if you got the green it would be an awesome upgrade

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
from my understanding its already been done with the stand alone module , and is being tested now , i will agree that by the time , you spent the money on the 5r110, and the conversion kit ,and labor for the install unless you did it yourself , you could by a bullet proof 4r100, and afford to spend a few dollars extra on fuel

·
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG
4,553 Posts
What i really wanted to do was fit a 7.3 with either an 8LL or a standard eaton/fuller 9spd. Now that would be the ultimate trans.

·
4,553 Posts
exactly! The only prob would be fitting it in the truck. Especially with 4wd.

·
4,553 Posts
I just found a reman 9spd on ebay for 1900 bucks. Thats not bad comparred to adding a gear vendors unit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been considering a Gear Vendors unit. I am not aware of the Eaton Fuller 9 spd option. Does anyone have a source for this transmission or a costs?

Rick

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
For the price of the 5r110, controller, and adapters... you would have one hell of a 4r100 that would be hard pressed to be busted.
I agree with this. The 5R110 does have issues. I've gone through 5 and my truck goes in this Tuesday to go on the rack to fix the slipping and shift flairs. I wouldn't mind having a built 4R100 behind my 6.0.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've got a nice eaton 6spd in my F700 dump that I love its not that big either...

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
I don't think he was asking about pounding on it, he was talking about having the extra gear for the fuel economy?
Do you think that the possible fuel savings will pay for the swap? The OD isn't THAT much different. A properly built 4r100 and a properly tuned 7.3 will get decent mileage for it's size/weight.

If you really need better mileage and keep the truck... I have a 3 cylinder perkins diesel that makes 20-35 brake hp. :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 21 Posts