Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3l swap

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  RollenCoal 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever swapped a idi turbo diesel to a powerstroke? If so, please help!

#5 ·
What's the difference between 94.5 to 97 powerstroke and 99 and up??? I'm a complete loss on this one.

#6 ·
The earlier diesels use a mechanical injection pump with individual fuel lines going to each cylinder run off a gear drive from the crank. Modern diesels the computer monitors the engines fuel burn and one high pressure pump pressurizes the fuel and electric solenoids let the fuel shoot in the cylinder at the precise time, in the late Powerstroke 7.3 it will do that 2 shots per firing cycle (quieter running and much more complete fuel burn), the 6.4 for instance I believe it shoots 5 times per cycle.

To take out a 7.3 and remove all the electronics and then put all the mechanical stuff to make it work for a poorer running engine, I'm at a loss as to why someone would do all tha, but hey, whatever blows your dress up!

#7 ·
94.5 to 97 powerstroke engine is the same engine as the 99 to 03 powerstroke, they both use heui injection, the 7.3 idi share nothing at all with a 7.3 powerstroke, and for a power standpoint in a 7.3 the single shot injectors make more power when you go with bigger aftermarket injectors. My post was really sarcasm, the 94.5 to 97 powerstroke uses a mechanical lift pump but are not mechanical injection. I think you need to do some more research on the difference between the 94.5 to97 and the 99 to 03, as you can swap them around as long as the 94.5 to 97 truck has e fuel as the 99 to 03 has no eccentric on the cam for a fuel pump.

#9 ·
So what the original poster is doing is putting a 96 powerstroke engine where his idi is. You can't put any idi parts in a powerstroke.

#10 ·
That's correct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.