Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2002 E350 that has upgraded exhaust, edge tuner and 4x4 etc. Van has run great until last night when my son was driving home he said he lost boost and then it sounded like all the vent fans got turned on. He said it was then very hard to get it up to speed and drove home slowly (20-40 mph). Pulled the van in the shop tonight and started looking for issues but couldn't find anything wrong. All of the boots seem to be fine. I pulled the intake boot off the turbo and it is sucking hard and there doesn't appear to be any leak from the boots going down into the intakes.

So we slapped things back together quickly and I took it for a spin up the road and the power felt okay but the boost gauge was hardly moving. I had to get the RPM's way up to get the boost psi up. Sitting in park and idling or slightly revving the engine showed no boost. Running down the road with my foot buried on the throttle I was able to get 16 psi.

I'm wondering why I have suddenly lost that low RPM boost? Where do I look next?

·
Super Moderator
2001 Ford F350, 7.3L, 4R100, CC, LB, SRW
19,190 Posts
May have to check the tubes, the intercooler and all the boots and check to see if the clamps are tight.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Not familiar with the vans, does yours have the MAP and EBP sensors?
if so, check the hose on the MAP and the metal tube on the EBP

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't remember if these are on the E350, I'll have to go digging and find out. Can I just check if its a EBP sensor issue by manually opening the EBPV (Exhaust Back Pressure Valve). mine appears to be moving freely at the base of the turbo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulled the Exhaust Gas Pressure sensor, cleaned it and the tube which didn't seem too dirty but there was no difference in the boost pressure. I'm only getting 1-2 psi at about 2200 RPM. Interesting though that on this engine the EGPV solenoid is part of the Garret turbo where as on my 99 E350 I believe the solenoid is a separate thing.

Plan is to pickup a new sensor in the morning and see if that makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
The tube likes to rust thru near where it connects to the manifold, may want to run your hand along it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so here is where I ended the day investigating. We have pulled most of the intake components off to allow better access. If I put my hand near the intake on the Turbo it is sucking a lot of air. I cleaned out the EBP tube and confirmed with my son that when I blew air down the tube it was coming out the exhaust. I then installed a new EBP sensor. NO CHANGE.

I did take the van for a run up the road yesterday evening and there seemed to be lots of power, it wasn't falling on its face like my son said it was. But the Edge tuner while showing RPM was showing NO Boost until at least 2100 RPM.

Got deeper into the system and pulled the MAP tube and made sure it was clear. I removed the tube and it was completely clear and blew air all the way into the intake and made sure it was clear as well. I then installed a new MAP sensor. NO CHANGE. I ended up installing a new MAP sensor because I tried to test the old one by applying vacuum to it and pressurized air. But only saw a small boost increase when pressurizing the MAP sensor.

Is there a chance I have a blown fuse that is causing one of these to not work properly? Where do I go from here? My next thought is to build a boost test kit to clamp onto the turbo.

Like I said the van felt okay to me just running down the road but my son said it definitely fell flat and wouldn't accelerate, and I don't need that happening on a long trip. Managed to toss a new serpentine belt on while I had things apart but that is about the only good news.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
I would suggest Forscan to look at what the PCM is seeing for parameters

Either 'lite' for your phone or tablet
or the full version(better) for your laptop

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll look at the Forscan for my laptop. Are the MAP sensors on the 7.3 sensing pressure or vacuum? I believe its pressure above my current atmospheric pressure, which for me is around 12.7 psi.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems to be a lot of different software out there ForScan and TOAD and others. Any suggestions on the best software and OBD cable? I don't mind getting something really good if its helps keep me away from the dealership.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Forscan is the goto software for these 6.0 and 7.3 engines -- it is specific for the Ford system
software is free, and the license is free -- not sure you can get any better than that

OBDLink MX+ or the BAFX adapter -- Bluetooth for your laptop
some try to cheap out on the adapter, some work and some do not

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ordered a OBDLink EX FORScan Adapter that is the USB cable and not Bluetooth. It appeared to be the recommended cable on the website. Hopefully it works.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have any of you guys used AUTOENGINUITY? Looks like by the time I order the Ford Cable and then also get VCDS software and cable for my VW I could buy the Ford and VW modules from AUTOENGINUITY for the same price.

BTW - ordered the OBDLink EX and then found out the company recommends the OBDLink MX+ instead. So trying to figure out if I do that or AUTOENGINUITY?

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
AE does not do the truck very well

Look at OBD eleven for the V-dub -- it will out do VCDS in some ways and is less expensive

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
K ordered OBDLink MX+ for the ForScan. Will see how that works when it comes in.

Ran some more tests on the 7.3 tonight and here is what I saw. The MAP sensor appears to be working fine. I have 5v reference and I can see the voltage climb as I add pressure to the map sensor. Same goes for the Exhaust Back Pressure sensor.

On the EBPS I saw the below (remember both of these sensors were replaced with aftermarket, non-OEM sensors)

0v with key off
5v reference at key on
0.8v on signal wire with key on
0.8v at 1500rpm
1.0v at 2000rpm
1.3v at 2500rpm

I've replaced the MAP rubber tube with a new one and have cleaned out the EBPS tube and can feel air shooting out the exhaust when I blow down the tube.

Is there a release valve when there is too much boost that may have gotten stuck open?

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Not sure if the van used a waste gate or not -- take a look at the turbo to see if it has the actuator, it would be on the back side
-- it there is a waste gate, possible it got stuck open

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I checked the engine pretty good but the only actuator is on the exhaust intake side. It looks like the air comes out of the turbo and straight into a tee that goes to the intake manifolds. Which leaves me wondering what happens in an over boost condition?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay so I made a boost leak tester by capping off the intake on the turbo and adding an air nipple to the cap. I hooked up my small compressor, turned the regulator down to 5 psi and then just slightly opened the air valve. I then listened for air leaks and didn't hear anything, so I turned the key on and watched the Edge tuner. The boost on the Edge tuner slowly crept up to 6 psi, so this makes me feel like the system is holding boost (psi) and that the edge tuner is working properly.

I then took the cap off and fired up the engine, but once again I couldn't get any boost on the gauge until the engine was over 2000 RPM.

So what is next? The turbo seems to be fine and even when I ran it down the road it didn't feel too bad. But the gauge shows zero psi. I guess I am waiting for the OBDLink MX+ and the ForScan software.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
You can do the same air test on the exhaust -- if you need more air flow, use a shop vac in reverse

1 - 20 of 29 Posts