Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going camping in the sand dunes this weekend and I want to tow my new trailer through the sand to the camp spot. So I have a 2000 F350 7.3L SRW short box with a Bradford built flatbed, 6.5" lift and 37"x13.50"s. I have all the normal mods, intake, exhaust, FRX, HPX, WW. My trailer is an 08 Springdale 18', 6,400 GVWR. I have driven in the sand quite a bit when I was younger, never in this heavy truck and never towing anything behind me. Any tips or pointers? I plan on airing down and turning the trailer brakes off already, anything else? Thanks guys!

Brandon

·
Registered
917 Posts
Air down your tires. Lower air pressure results in a larger footprint under each tire allowing your trucks weight to be distributed over a larger area. Air down the trailer tires too.

Watch your trans temps!!!! Hope you have either a deep pan or 6.0 cooler.

I have spent alot of time driving in soft sand. Good Luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the input. No I don't have a deep trans pan or the 6.0 cooler. I'm not going too far though, about a mile. I will probably ride the bike during the day and cruise around in the truck at night, if I take it easy like not climbing hills and stuff, think the tranny will be alright? It's built a little, HD TC and I just had it rebuilt. New clutch plates and pump and everything.

·
Registered
917 Posts
If a mile is all you are going you shouldnt have a problem. I have had mine in the sand loaded for 8 or 10 miles of really soft sand, temps can get high fast. I just went to a deep pan and it makes a big difference.

Normally you would want to run in 4x4 hi, but pulling that trailer you may want to try 4x4 lo.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Your truck will do fine even though it's heavy!
Like you already know, airing down the tires is the most important thing to do for driving on sand, and airing down the trailer tires is also important so that you are not just dragging it through the sand with it's tires half buried. makes it much easier to tow!

Here is my setup that I tow through the sand and the trailer is over 10k lbs.:

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
What everyone says is good advice, I've been playing in the sand for over 40 years and towing toyhaulers for over 10 years. Something to remember, when you start to get stuck, stop.

You will make it easier to get un-stuck by assessing the situation before getting down to the frame. What also really helps, take a couple of 1 to 2 foot wide strips of carpet with you. I use about 20 foot long strips, that way you can get a good run going.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I wouldn't even bother airing down your trailer. That's a small and light trailer. We're in the dunes all the time. Your truck sounds similar to mine. Air down your truck tires to about 15 psi. I pull a 38' Raptor in the Dunes. As long as the front of your trailer isn't too low, you will be fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
same story, air down and your good. for me and my 9,000 lb trailer i air down to 20 psi on all terrains and never an issue. oh and 4 hi

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Camping trip was success

Hey everybody, thanks again to everybody who replied with some help. The trip was a success! Didn't get stuck and got a lot of riding in. It's unbelievable how well these trucks do in the sand. Next time I will bring an air compressor though, my towing airbag compressor did not like airing up 37s. Also I had to pull out a buddy who was stuck in a cummins! Thanks again guys

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
yeah its pretty amazing how well these heavy azz trucks do in sand :icon_ford: you would think with how heavy they are, it would hinder it some, but doesnt seem so. btw nice looking truck! what bed/headache rack is that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I originally bought the truck with the intent to put a regular bed on it ASAP, but it's kind of growing on me. It's a Bradford Built flatbed. You don't really see too many trucks with them. You can definitely load a lot of stuff in there, the only bad part is that you have to tie almost everything down!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts