Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ok. put everything together, crank and still no start with reservoir plug off no oil spit out. Jacked rear end up, crank, got oil in reservoir. Crank more, oil now spittin out reservoir. Plug back up. Crank and starts but dies immediately. Truck is not level on the ground so passenger side is higher. So I'm thinking the pick up tube is the culprit and I've been the Guinea pig on trying to figure out the issue

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sounds like you may be right, although I’m not aware that the pickup tube is really ever an issue in 7.3s. It starts and dies even with the back of the truck jacked up? If you got oil in the reservoir the pump must be primed and pumping.. interested to see how this turns out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like you may be right, although I’m not aware that the pickup tube is really ever an issue in 7.3s. It starts and dies even with the back of the truck jacked up? If you got oil in the reservoir the pump must be primed and pumping.. interested to see how this turns out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Might want to check each of the valve cover harnesses

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ok. put everything together, crank and still no start with reservoir plug off no oil spit out. Jacked rear end up, crank, got oil in reservoir. Crank more, oil now spittin out reservoir. Plug back up. Crank and starts but dies immediately. Truck is not level on the ground so passenger side is higher. So I'm thinking the pick up tube is the culprit and I've been the Guinea pig on trying to figure out the issue
You able to see your ICP pressure and monitor?

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
I would dump an extra gallon (or the whole jug) of oil in there -- keep the jug and drain the excess back after testing -- two gallons is not gonna hurt anything, if your not driving the truck around

Reactions: bc_vickers

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
Gonna own a diesel, you need to be able to get codes and monitor the system when there is a problem

These should be mandatory for any 6.0 and 7.3 (info for 7.3 is missing)
Fuel pressure gauge -- (M12x1.5 thread adapter - 6.0) -- ??(7.3)
Base oil pressure gauge -- (test port on front of oil cooler housing 9/16x18 imperial o-ring fitting - 6.0) -- ??(7.3)

I suggest downloading ForScan and using the OBDLink MX+ or the BAFX adapter for troubleshooting
Torque Pro would be good for everyday use with an old phone or tablet -- can be mounted on the dash
Scan Gauge is small and simple -- can be mounted in front of the instrument cluster
there are other monitor solutions, but the price goes higher

ForScan is a simple download, you can get it in just a few minutes -- the "lite" version is available on the app stores for your device.
there is a "demo" mode in the options so you can get a feel of how the app works
The BAFX adapter is the least expensive and reliable -- the MX+ is faster and has more features

you do not need the license for troubleshooting

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I added 1 gal of motor oil and still does a long crank to build oil pressure, goes to start but dies out immediately. If I tap on and off pedal to keep running it lopes and die as soon as I stop giving fuel. I drained the gal of oil back out, reservoir staying full. Any thoughts on bad injectors or the oil rings

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I ordered the bafx from amazon and itll be here tuesday. already downloaded torque pro app. In the meantime I'm removing valve covers and when it quits raining I'll finish that up. As a thought does anybody think I could have damaged o-rings on injectors my last night of work do to maybe lpop wasn't getting enough oil up to reservoir. When I ohmed out gp's I got .7 on all thru the uvhc so those should be fine.

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
DL the ForScan app for testing, much better info than Torque

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
PC version is the best in terms of running tests and commanding functions (limited by the PCM programming), but the 'lite' version is functional for testing problems

plus is the larger screen on a laptop for watching the graphs

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ok ran self test on injectors. Says no error there. For the codes it is showing is; P1280 icp circuit low, p0472 exhaust pressure sensor low input; P0237 - Turbo/Super Charger Boost Sensor A Circuit Low, one for transfer case and brake on/off.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts