Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! I picked this forum to ask this question and join because the posters here seem to be a lot more helpful and knowledgeable than other places I've searched. I'm sure this has probably been answered somewhere because I've seen similar symptoms described but I haven't found a post that has an answer to what I'm seeing. Sorry if I missed it.

I just bought my truck in my sig a week or so ago so I'm still working through the issues. Here's my symptoms as close as I can describe them. I've never had a diesel before but I've worked on gas engines a few times in the past:

• When I start the truck, it usually has no problems but sometimes I have to try a couple of times even after letting the glow plugs warm up for 20-30 secs after the light goes out to start.
  • The engine usually has very little power at first and won't go past about 2k RPM for a while. If I keep fluttering the pedal, it will eventually start blowing out white smoke, acting like a gas engine does when the plugs are fouled and spark finally gets through to the gas and clears out the gas in the cylinders. It doesn't seem to run any rougher when it has low power than when it's running correctly.
  • As I start breaking through this level and the white smoke is coming out at 2k on up, the engine seems to make a louder crackling sound and will go to higher and higher RPM's.
  • Once I break through and I can get to max safe RPM's several times, it will spool up to max RPM's with no delays and has full power back again.
  • Once I clear out the system, it seems to start and run with no problem even if I shut it off for a few hours. The problem usually comes back the next day, however.

-

I replaced the MAP sensor because the shop I had look at it said it through out that code after they cleared the others. I've since gotten an Actron CP9580 and hooked it up but haven't seen any codes after I replaced the MAP even though this symptom is still here.

It has a new air filter, oil filter and fuel filter.

The truck is new to me so I haven't had a chance to see all the symptoms and when they appear or don't.

On a possibly unrelated note, the truck shifts into gear extremely hard when it's low on power and seems to shift in easier once it clears out but it may only seem that way due to the RPM's I'm at when it's running correctly. It's an automatic.

Can anyone help with what I should do next or point me to a thread that explains what's going on with the same symptoms? I hope I've listed all the pertinent information but I haven't started looking at any measurements on anything yet because quite frankly, I don't know what I'm doing yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
96F350KID posted a possible answer :

If you hold the go pedal to the floor....does it stubble at 2200-2500 then clear?? If so you have bad injector o-rings.
Is this the same symptom I'm describing? By 'then clear' does that mean that the symptom goes away and then it won't stubble anymore and runs perfectly?

·
Rangers Lead The Way!
11,655 Posts
Sounds like you just need injectors. both of my trucks that are over 200k do it. The life span of these injectors are roughly 150k to 200k and then they need looked over.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kanuck. I'm thinking about getting upgraded injectors anyway so I can get the most out of a chip (maybe a TS 6-position).

I've never dug into a diesel before though. How difficult of a job would that be to replace the injectors and o-rings? Is it something on the difficulty level of say, replacing a carburetor on a gas engine?

If I go ahead and have these changed, is there anything else I should change while I'm in there?

If it turns out that it's not the injectors doing this, any ideas on what it could be? I've seen similar symptoms that people said were caused by the IDM and a few other things but nothing with the exact description I'm getting.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Hmmm how does the exhaust sound dies it whistle at all I almost ebpv is sticking also you can pull the icp sensor see it is filled with oil

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definitely hear the turbo whine. On occasion, I'll hear a quick high-pitched whistle (I notice it maybe every few minutes but not always). I don't have a feel yet as to when the whistle sound comes. It only lasts like a quarter-half second or so when it whistles.

I'm not sure exactly what 'right' sounds like though.

I'll look into the ICP and ebpv. I never heard of them until you mentioned them but the ICP seems easiest to tackle so I'll start there first.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Well ebpv you will hear very easy icp is also very easy to check you said all the fluids are up to date

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ICP has oil in it. I'll go ahead and change that and then see where I stand. Great tip Navydad.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Glad I can help

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Pull it and try to run the truck that will tell you for sure if it goes away bad icp

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went ahead and changed the ICP since it only took 5 minutes. Would've been 2 minutes other than having to move the wiring harness out of the way to get a wrench around it.

It started up quicker this time and seems to be running on full power but it was at that point before I changed it. Can't tell 100% yet since it was kind of an intermittent problem but it looks good so far. I'll pop back in a few days to let everyone know if it seems to have fixed it. I definitely appreciate the help from both of you.

I paid a bit more attention to the whistle. It happens when it's shifting gears but not every time, in fact most of the time I don't hear it. It's just a very quick, "Tsst." Definitely different than the turbo whistle sound.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the problem came back again today. Hard to start, low power and wouldn't go past about 2000rpm. Guess I'm back on the hunt for a solution.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I let the glowplugs warm up a full 30 secs after the light went out this morning. Started first try but took a few extra turns. Had full rpm range but a little less power. 5 mi down the road when I pulled out at a light, she couldn't get out of her own way. I pulled over and it wouldn't go past 2700rpm. I spent 5 mins trying to clear it out but nothing; no smoke, no no full rpm, no power, no crackling.

I shut it off for a few secs and started it back up. It started right up but had an extremely lopey. After a few revs, I got that rough crackling at the 2k+ range with the white smoke. About 2 mins of cycling up through the rpms (and a bunch of smoke), it cleared out, smoke stopped and I had full power.

WTF? :confused: lol

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Banned
920 Posts
Sounds to me like you have IPR o-rings that are shot. OR your injectors are soo shot you could be loosing fuel and/or oil pressure allowing air to enter the system. Pop off the fuel filter and see if you have oil in your fuel. If so you need new o-rings. Now if you hold the go pedal from idle to the floor in neutral and it stumbles for a few seconds between 2-3k chances are you need injector o-rings as well. See if you can find someone to do a cylinder contribution test for you which may lead you in the right direction. I've replaced o-rings for customers because the truck was running rough and at 190k they still had the original o-rings on them( which IH and Ford say 125K they should be changed). We changed them and they ended up needing injectors anyways.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When it's running fine, it doesn't stumble at all. When it's not running right, it doesn't really stumble, just either has no power or when the white smoke comes as it starts clearing out, seems to have more of a rumble during that time.

I'll look at the fuel pump tomorrow when it's light again. I appreciate the suggestion. I'm probably going to be sending my injectors to be rebuilt next week so that may give some hints too.

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
I'd check the fuel pressure. Stumble, gutless and smoke can occur if the fuel pressure is low.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got a chance to check the fuel filter (I just moved back across the state). No oil in the diesel. I guess the next move will be to pull out the injectors and send them in to have them rebuilt. I'll also start looking for someone who could do a fuel pressure check as well.

Back on the hunt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Finally got a chance to check the fuel filter (I just moved back across the state). No oil in the diesel. I guess the next move will be to pull out the injectors and send them in to have them rebuilt. I'll also start looking for someone who could do a fuel pressure check as well.

Back on the hunt.

ever figure it out????? just wondering what it was my truck is doing the same thing...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ever figure it out????? just wondering what it was my truck is doing the same thing...
Sorry brother. Haven't got it figured out yet. Moved across the state and had a bunch of other stuff to do. I'll be updating the posts as I learn anything. Please pop in with anything you come across. I'm thinking I'll pull the injectors next.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts