Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I'm new to the forums and I WILL be new to powerstrokes and Alternative fuels when I pick up my Excursion this year, but I am getting very close so I thought that I'd ask the guys with experience which is better.

I am going to replace my Tahoe with an 02(ish) Excursion... pre-6.0 'stroke because I really want more space and I miss my 06 Durmax, so I figured the Excursion was the best of both worlds.

The problem is, well obviously $5.00+/gallon (soon) Diesel. So I am ready to start my "collection service" for the local Chinese and Mexican restaurants, which there are plenty of around here, and either running SVO or refining it to Bio.

A buddy of mine convinced me a year ago that if I did this I NEEDED to convert the truck and run SVO... NOW he's saying that BIO would probably be a better bet.

So, what do you guys think?

I know one issue with SVO is the extra tank. In a truck it's no biggie, but I don't want to lose cargo space in the excursion, so I'd have to try to find a "saddle" tank for under the truck.

I think the upfront costs would be more to convert the truck, but in the long run, SVO would probably be cheaper.

Who has experience with both that might be able to help me decide which way to go?

Thanks guys!

Shannon

·
Registered
738 Posts
I am looking into buying and converting a Excursion as I type this. It's just as easy as converting my truck, the one thing that I am looking at doing is the extra tank. I have seen a few different ways of doing this but all the ones I have seen have a smaller tank custom made ($$$) for the WVO.

WVO is the way to go in the long run, I love driving by the filling stations and looking at the amazing fuel prices while I burn WVO. Both have there ups and downs and I am sure some of the "local yocal experts" will chime in here shortly. If you do the conversion yourself you can save yourself allot of $$$. I did my conversion for a little less than $1000, no bells and whistles just a toggle switch on my dash board.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What was the question?

Not exactly sure what you're looking for but there's a wealth of information in many of the posts in this forum. There's even some great info in the posts that are stickied at the top.

Most people agree that one vehicle usage.... WVO fits most application. Two or more vehicles being supplied bio works well for most. They're exceptions to everything and nobody can tell you what will work best for you. Both ways have their advantages and disadvantages that are talked about many times in other posts here. Do a little reading and don't be scared of the search button... you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you're no chemist and/or don't want chemicals around go with vegoil.

The conversion will cost you $$ as will $tart-up fuel with vegoil.

If you have a long commute go with vegoil.

You can process (filter & de-water) more vegoil per week than bioD.

It is possible to obtain free de-watered vegoil while on road trips from members of vegoil forums.

With vegoil one can usually get free oil from restaurants while on an out of town road trip. Filtering on the fly is possible but de-watering not so easy.

Doing both is the best of both worlds but I say vegoil is the way to go.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would say biodiesel personally.

From what I understand when you run straight VO you have to start the truck using regular diesel then switch to VO then you have to purge the system before you shut it down. Not to mention the cost of the consersion.

Plenty of people say that making bio takes to long or watever but i spend 90% of my time in the garage anyway. I SAY BIO!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What was the question?

Not exactly sure what you're looking for but there's a wealth of information in many of the posts in this forum. There's even some great info in the posts that are stickied at the top.

Most people agree that one vehicle usage.... WVO fits most application. Two or more vehicles being supplied bio works well for most. They're exceptions to everything and nobody can tell you what will work best for you. Both ways have their advantages and disadvantages that are talked about many times in other posts here. Do a little reading and don't be scared of the search button... you'll be glad you did.

Actually, I've done more than a little reading and that includes the posts here.
I've used the search, but I don't see many folks here with anything OTHER than trucks.
That being the case, I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if any of the people here had considered the differences in the two options when it comes to something other than a truck.

You say one vehicle versus 2, SVO is better, but I can only assume that refers ONLY to the cost of converting the vehicles versus setting up a BIO converter and that makes obvious sense.

My question arises from my experience with people who WERE running SVO deciding to later go to bio. There must be a logical reason why someone would stop running SVO in an already converted truck and start producing their own bio.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Allot of WVOer's end up making biodiesel to run in there regular diesel tank so they no longer have to go to filling stations and buy diesel. That's my plan in the future at least.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Alot of WVOer's end up making biodiesel to run in there regular diesel tank so they no longer have to go to filling stations and buy diesel. That's my plan in the future at least.
I'm in negotiations with a biodieseler friend of mine to let me use his processor between his batches. I will supply my filtered de-watered oil and pay him the cost of methanol and lye. Problem is he has yet to produce ASTM quality fuel but he's getting close. I can not make it where I live for various reasons.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Allot of WVOer's end up making biodiesel to run in there regular diesel tank so they no longer have to go to filling stations and buy diesel. That's my plan in the future at least.
I've been running WVO in my truck for almost five years now and for the last two years I've been making Bio for the wife's 01 Excursion. I don't plan on converting the Excursion to WVO because 90% of her driving is short trips, I did add an extra 25 gallon tank to the Excursion for longer trips when needed.

I've got my cost of making Bio down to $1.30 a gallon right now, between the two of us we go through about 15 gallons Bio a week. It boils down to how far you have to drive, for short trips convert the fuel for long trips convert the truck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been running WVO in my truck for almost five years now and for the last two years I've been making Bio for the wife's 01 Excursion. I don't plan on converting the Excursion to WVO because 90% of her driving is short trips, I did add an extra 25 gallon tank to the Excursion for longer trips when needed.

I've got my cost of making Bio down to $1.30 a gallon right now, between the two of us we go through about 15 gallons Bio a week. It boils down to how far you have to drive, for short trips convert the fuel for long trips convert the truck.
Now THAT is some useful information!

I do primarily short trip driving with the Tahoe and then once or twice a year we'll do the "family vacation" in it which will be a long one. That would be the best opportunity to use WVO for me. Usually, I don't drive more than maybe 15-30 miles at a shot if even that. So the Excursion will be mostly short trip driving.

Now, my buddy has a diesel pusher motorhome and he was thinking of going SVO, but has recently decided to just start making bio too, so I think with the opportunity to "share assets" when making bio, it might be the better option for me for right now.

Where did you put the extra tank in the Excursion? IF I could START the family vacation with 50+ gallons of "home made" fuel, that would sure help offset the cost of having to buy fuel for the trip back.

Another thought is that if the bio really saves us that much money, I might convince my wife to drive the Excursion for work. She does home health and puts probably 300+ miles a week on her car, but in fairly short jaunts from one patient to the next.
I can't see her paying attention to FUEL TEMP and switching back and forth between fuels, so I'd have to run bio to get her to drive the big rig.

She gets paid mileage, so it could really be a winning proposition if she ran bio.
Of course, her HHR gets 28 MPG, so I have to consider that in comparison with the 15-20 in the Excursion.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
424 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See, that's exactly why I asked the question because that is just plain ridiculous!

It's clear that the third seat is removed, so now, what's the point of even having an excursion? Might as well drive a crew cab truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where did you put the extra tank in the Excursion?
I picked up a 10"X10"X50" (I think) 25 gallon poly off ebay for $55.00 built a cradle for it and mounted along the inside drivers frame rail. I kept it simple, no gauge, a 30 dollar fuel pump wired to a switch and small running light mounted to the removable panel below the steering column. I taped two 3/8 barbed fittings into the stock filler tube, one for fuel and one to vent back to the transfer tank. To fill it I added a one inch filler line and mounted it next to the stock filler cap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I picked up a 10"X10"X50" (I think) 25 gallon poly off ebay for $55.00 built a cradle for it and mounted along the inside drivers frame rail. I kept it simple, no gauge, a 30 dollar fuel pump wired to a switch and small running light mounted to the removable panel below the steering column. I taped two 3/8 barbed fittings into the stock filler tube, one for fuel and one to vent back to the transfer tank. To fill it I added a one inch filler line and mounted it next to the stock filler cap.

Sounds fairly inexpensive and simple.

What kind of range do you get out of a full tank plus your transfer tank?

·
Registered
206 Posts
The choice is very simple. How far do you drive 1 way? If you don't drive far enoungh to heat the vegie oil to operating temperature, it will not burn correctly in the engine and will gel in the tank in cooler weather. In that case use BIO. If you regularly make long trips, go ahead and convert the truck. It is far easier and a little safer to filter the oil directly into the tank.

As for me, I'm trying to secure an oil supply and start generating BIO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What kind of range do you get out of a full tank plus your transfer tank?
If I'm easy on the skinny pedal we can get around 1300 miles on both tanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I'm easy on the skinny pedal we can get around 1300 miles on both tanks.
Sweet.
That should be perfect for the majority of my long trips. A run down to the FL Coast and back is about 1500 miles and that's a once a year trip... Down to the Smokey mountains and back is less than 1100. and that's once or twice a year.

So, If I can find a place to stash two of those babies, we should be set for either of our long trips for the year.

Of course, on those trips, I'd probably pull an enclosed Bike trailer and I could always stash a hundred gallon tank in the front of that thing too and just pump as needed:nod:

I really think this is going to work out great for the new "family truckster!"

Otherwise, I'm more of a short tripper. However, all of my cars usually have a remote start on them for the winter, so the argument of "how far you drive" is a little moot because generally I don't even GET IN my truck until it's warm in the winter, so the SVO would probably be ready to go by then too I have a feeling.

All that said, I think it's looking like bio might be the best way to go for me right now.
I could always convert the truck later if I start doing more long trips on a regular basis I suppose.

What, if anything, would I have to do to a 7.3L to make it "bio safe?" I've heard all of the horror stories of the tanks de-laminating and lines and injectors going south with bio?

Any issues there if I stick with an older X?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Check your tank(S) if they are plastic, you won't have a problem. If they are steel, you will need to find out if they are coated or not. Also make sure any flexible parts of the gas line are not natural rubber. If they are, you will need to replace them with a synthetic. Finally, unless your truck is brand new, have a few extra fuel filters in the truck. Bio is very good at cleaning out the fuel system. After a few tank fulls, that problem should go away. Finally, don't switch to 100% bio right away. Start at 25% and work your way up a few tanks at a time. This will make sure your running fine on BIO. Oh, one other thing. Bio usually gels at about 40 degrees. Either mix 50% diesel at low temps or get at bio safe anti gelling agent.:icon_ford:

·
Registered
2 Posts
2000 WVO Excursion

Now THAT is some useful information!

I do primarily short trip driving with the Tahoe and then once or twice a year we'll do the "family vacation" in it which will be a long one. That would be the best opportunity to use WVO for me. Usually, I don't drive more than maybe 15-30 miles at a shot if even that. So the Excursion will be mostly short trip driving.

Now, my buddy has a diesel pusher motorhome and he was thinking of going SVO, but has recently decided to just start making bio too, so I think with the opportunity to "share assets" when making bio, it might be the better option for me for right now.

Where did you put the extra tank in the Excursion? IF I could START the family vacation with 50+ gallons of "home made" fuel, that would sure help offset the cost of having to buy fuel for the trip back.

Another thought is that if the bio really saves us that much money, I might convince my wife to drive the Excursion for work. She does home health and puts probably 300+ miles a week on her car, but in fairly short jaunts from one patient to the next.
I can't see her paying attention to FUEL TEMP and switching back and forth between fuels, so I'd have to run bio to get her to drive the big rig.

She gets paid mileage, so it could really be a winning proposition if she ran bio.
Of course, her HHR gets 28 MPG, so I have to consider that in comparison with the 15-20 in the Excursion.

Thanks for the input!
I did a WVO conversion on my 2000 Excursion early last year and love it. I put the extra (40 gal.) tank behind my third seat row. It is a tight fit and I had to drill holes from the interior plastic wall for the WVO line and heater line but you can't tell (the lines run between the interior wall and the exterior of the truck so it doesn't look bad). I bought my kit from Greasecar. I had to modify it a little by bying additional pex fuel lines since the run from the motor to the back of the truck is so long. I am not a mechanic, so if I did it anyone can. I still have room for a double stroller and a few other items behind the tank. I also added a cargo carrier that inserts into the towing receiver which I can carry luggage or what ever. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.