Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I’m having an issue with my 2000 F450. It’s a 7.3L with a 4R100. I just swapped in a rebuilt 2001 motor about 500 miles ago. I have 198k miles, and everything ran great until just the other day.
Basically I would drive and after the torque converter locks up the truck would try to shift into OD and it would shift down, and up, and down and finally drop into OD. It has a “clack clack” at idle that comes and goes.
I had to add some trans fluid as the levels were off after the rebuild because I added a different cooler during rebuild.
The truck also has a lack of power, and the fuel pump was screaming loud during priming and got to the point where the motor couldn’t keep throttle and would bog down, and the “clack clack” would increase at idle. I replaced the fuel pump and the noise became intermittent and now it drives but still lacks power. It won’t drive over 75mph.
During this time I have re-torqued the injectors to spec twice, once cold and once hot.

Any thoughts? I currently have lack of power, and a slight knocking noise at idle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Is there any smoke from the exhaust? Any codes? I had a problem that would cause my injectors to go “ clack” when they were starving for fuel. It was an unseated copper washer. Have you seen your fuel bowl fill up without the cap on? Checked the pick up screens in the fuel tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No codes. No smoke from exhaust at all, unless the tuner is on and then it will blow black, but less when the power is down it seems like.
I couldn’t check the fuel pressure but suspected the fuel pump was going out based on the loud inconsistent sound it makes. I had to replace the pump with a cheap Orielly pump by MasterPro.
I have Riff Raff’s FRx, do you think that system could be blessing off pressure? Or more of an injector issue?
Also injectors are a Full Force brand and all 8 got replaced around Sept of last year, and pick up foot/screens around the same time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any other thoughts?
When I rebuilt the engine I re-oringed the fuel injectors. This being said, I also retorqued them recently. Is it possible to fix the seating without removing them?

·
Registered
114 Posts
If just one of your injectors is unseated you would see smoke, dirty fuel bowl and filter, and oil blowing up from around the injector if the valve cover is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So this is what I was able to get my hands on today... sounds like the knock is on the passenger side. The mechanic I spoke with thinks because the torque was low on some of them combustion gasses may have nicked the copper washer, or their is suit in the seat not allowing the injector to seat right.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:
I swapped fuel injector 5 and 7 out for some Alliant Remans that were unknown in condition, problem persisted.
I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to my truck and was only getting 20 psi at idle. I recently changed out the fuel pump, so I just swapped out the fuel bowl as I had a spare. This took care of the fuel knock and idle issues. Truck still is running sub par and now ONLY cylinder 8 fails cyl contribution. Perhaps I trashed #8 with low fuel pressure considering its last in the firing order?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Wow 20 psi is way low. Hopefully you haven't burned an injector tip off. The fuel pressure problem will need to be addressed first. I wouldn't run until fuel pressure is there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got the problem figured out. My truck is a 2000 F450 cab and chassis and on these trucks the fuel tank has a coating on the inside that delaminates. I had chunks in the fuel filter. After the shop replaced the fuel tank, fuel filter, fuel pump and cleaned the lines she runs again. Problem solved

·
Registered
246 Posts
Finally got the problem figured out. My truck is a 2000 F450 cab and chassis and on these trucks the fuel tank has a coating on the inside that delaminates. I had chunks in the fuel filter. After the shop replaced the fuel tank, fuel filter, fuel pump and cleaned the lines she runs again. Problem solved
Great to hear. Its usually something simple. Not cheap, but not too complicated either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts