Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a 7.3l but all i find is 4x4, now i know the fx4 is the off road pkg and when you buy a 4x4 you get a "one tire fire" how much would it be to put lockers in it to make all 4 wheel spin? or is that what manual locking hubs are for?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just because it isn't an FX4 doesn't mean it won't have a limited slip. My 4X4 without the FX4 package has the limited slip, as do many others that I've seen.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You can put air lockers in that way you have the bed of both worlds open diff and a spool. No manual hubs does not change the differential action.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry, I realize now that you were talking about the front axle... disregard my previous comment.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Just because it isn't an FX4 doesn't mean it won't have a limited slip. My 4X4 without the FX4 package has the limited slip, as do many others that I've seen.
My 4x4 Off-Road package F-250 has a LSD in the back. My LSD was an option on the sticker along with the 4x4 Off-Road package. pretty sure the FX4 package didn't come out until '03. Up until '03, the trucks were either 4x4 or 4x4 Off-Road and I think the Off-Road package was Skid Plates and a Sticker.

You'll have a hard time finding a '03 7.3 FX4 as the 7.3 was offered in limited quantities in '03

Manual Locking Hubs have nothing to do with the locking action of the differential. It just means you have to get out and turn the knob to go 4wd instead of turning the knob and a vacuum line causes them to lock.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Sorry, I realize now that you were talking about the front axle... disregard my previous comment.
and the front was never offered in LSD or locker from the factory in a Superduty AFAIK... all open diff.

·
Registered
250 Posts
FX4 = 4x4 offroad and the change was made in 02

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thats interesting because my 02 window sticker says fx4

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
They can put a sticker on anything. I have a late 99 and on the back of my truck it has an FX4 sticker on it. :dunno:
I believe he means window sticker from the manufacturer.

I was always under the impression they started with fx4 in 2003. Skid plate, shocks, sticker

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will

·
Registered
250 Posts
I believe he means window sticker from the manufacturer.

I was always under the impression they started with fx4 in 2003. Skid plate, shocks, sticker

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will
Yes i mean the window sticker with all the options on the truck (I still have mine) not the sticker on the bed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
and the front was never offered in LSD or locker from the factory in a Superduty AFAIK... all open diff.
I figured this was the case, but didn't want to mislead anyone without knowing for sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did a stint as a salesman at Rivertown Ford in Columbus, Ga, for a while (didn't like the hours, plus standing around for hours waiting to try and sale something SUCKS), the primary difference is the skid plates and fackencho shocks.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Im looking for a 7.3l but all i find is 4x4, now i know the fx4 is the off road pkg and when you buy a 4x4 you get a "one tire fire" how much would it be to put lockers in it to make all 4 wheel spin? or is that what manual locking hubs are for?
My OBS, which is certainly different than a Super Duty, has limited slip rears. Lockers are nice, but very expensive.

If I wanted to blow money that I didn't need to, I'd keep my Sterling lsd in the rear and put a locker in the front (where all that healthy diesel-motor weight is). The hubs merely lock the axle to the hubs (tires..) so that when you engage the tcase the front tires will spin. It doesnt make the front axle "lockers". Its just much tougher than auto hubs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If i find a fx4 without manual locking hubs, does that mean its gunna have all tires spin at the same time or no? Pretty much if it is actually a fx4 will all tires spin at the same time, manual locking hubs or not

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
No, any stock 4x4 Super Duty will only have 2 tires spinning. If it has the limited slip option in the rear it will give some power to a third tire but the factory LSD sucks so I would still plan on only having 2 wheels spinning. FX4 and manual hubs will not affect what wheels spin when comparing it to any other 4x4 Super Duty. The only way you will get all four spinning is to add lockers to the front and rear. The exception is the new Super Duties with the e locker option in the rear.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
If i find a fx4 without manual locking hubs, does that mean its gunna have all tires spin at the same time or no? Pretty much if it is actually a fx4 will all tires spin at the same time, manual locking hubs or not
lol. no. these are trucks, not rock crawlers. Although if you have LSD, both rear tires should spin.

No, any stock 4x4 Super Duty will only have 2 tires spinning. If it has the limited slip option in the rear it will give some power to a third tire but the factory LSD sucks so I would still plan on only having 2 wheels spinning. FX4 and manual hubs will not affect what wheels spin when comparing it to any other 4x4 Super Duty. The only way you will get all four spinning is to add lockers to the front and rear. The exception is the new Super Duties with the e locker option in the rear.
I think my stock LSD (granted, an OBS truck...) works excellent in snow and mud.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts