Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 01 7.3 I have replaced everything you can think of and still will start run for a few minutes and die, wound start again for several hours. Does the same thing. New icp cps Ipr hpop lpop injectors harnesses oil changed and fuel pump and filters. Any ideas?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hi I have a 01 7.3 I have replaced everything you can think of and still will start run for a few minutes and die, wound start again for several hours. Does the same thing. New icp cps Ipr hpop lpop injectors harnesses oil changed and fuel pump and filters. Any ideas?
1. Get forscan or torque pro and scan for codes and monitor the vitals (IPR,hpop, etc)

2. Check that it's getting fuel. I don't know how to check fuel pressure but that would be on my list.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,363 Posts
Yea, Stop wasting money on things you don't need! ;)

I don't know how you went down this road, you're not alone of course, but it's a ridiculously bad plan. What you Want to do is to spend just a little money on the proper tools to give you the ability to diagnose your problem instead of trying to "get lucky" with a guessed part.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, Stop wasting money on things you don't need! ;)

I don't know how you went down this road, you're not alone of course, but it's a ridiculously bad plan. What you Want to do is to spend just a little money on the proper tools to give you the ability to diagnose your problem instead of trying to "get lucky" with a guessed part.

Had 3 different so called mechanics with there snap on computer tell me it’s this or that and non of them have a clue. Some of it sounded foolish but I gave it a shot. So here’s where I’m at. I have another professional coming tomorrow he was my 6.0 guy so I have full faith in him but was hoping someone here had the same issue

·
Registered
516 Posts
Had 3 different so called mechanics with there snap on computer tell me it’s this or that and non of them have a clue. Some of it sounded foolish but I gave it a shot. So here’s where I’m at. I have another professional coming tomorrow he was my 6.0 guy so I have full faith in him but was hoping someone here had the same issue
Why trust their scanner when you can scan yourself and verify?

I've fixed a couple stupid things this way.

·
Premium Member
8,363 Posts
Keep in mind, that if the SES light came ON, that there IS a code there. That code will, most of the time, say that the PCM saw something out-of-spec. Some sensor or module isn't either doing what it's expected or an out of range reading.

This is the fastest, best way, to take you to the issue that's causing the problem. You have seen the light come on, let the PCM help you, but you have to be able to retrieve that code (again, proper sw).

Now, if your code is not engine related or not able to cause your symptoms, then you Have to look at Fuel Delivery (no code gets set when you run dry, there are no sensors monitoring fuel). You say "pump and filters" have you been in the tank for the sending unit screens? Best thing for diagnosing fuel delivery issues is a Pressure Gauge...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep in mind, that if the SES light came ON, that there IS a code there. That code will, most of the time, say that the PCM saw something out-of-spec. Some sensor or module isn't either doing what it's expected or an out of range reading.

This is the fastest, best way, to take you to the issue that's causing the problem. You have seen the light come on, let the PCM help you, but you have to be able to retrieve that code (again, proper sw).

Now, if your code is not engine related or not able to cause your symptoms, then you Have to look at Fuel Delivery (no code gets set when you run dry, there are no sensors monitoring fuel). You say "pump and filters" have you been in the tank for the sending unit screens? Best thing for diagnosing fuel delivery issues is a Pressure Gauge...
Yes changed the screen cleaned the tank had oil getting in fuel from o-rings. No ses my programmer reads dtc codes. I pulled my icp had my son crank it and oil came out but not much pressure at all. I’m going to wait for the guy tomorrow but I’m leaning toward o-ring on injectors one or two bad or hpop the new one was junk. Will post back tomorrow with the results

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys sorry for the late update my guy kept putting me off. Turned out to be a bad right out of the box hpop. Replaced it with one from ford fired right up on second try. This is a bwd and as so many has said go with genuine ford part. You save time and it’s worth the money over the headache. Thanks guys for the help

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ok guys sorry for the late update my guy kept putting me off. Turned out to be a bad right out of the box hpop. Replaced it with one from ford fired right up on second try. This is a bwd and as so many has said go with genuine ford part. You save time and it’s worth the money over the headache. Thanks guys for the help
Isn't bwd the brand of china-zone or advance-china-auto?

If so that's why.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts