Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have a 2001 f350 7.3L
Recently I have replaced the drivers side battery (which the pass. checks out fine)
and the alternator
fuel filter
serp. belt

Problem - this goes back throughout the last month - the first onset of the problem arose with when i would try to drive forward (not noticed in reverse) i would have a loss of power - regardless of how much i pushed the pedal down there would be a slow increase in actual speed of the vehicle with no increase of RPM - the first time this happened was a chilly morning - second time was middle of afternoon at 70F - so temp hasnt been a direct issue - the most recent time was yesterday - on the way to work and it was cold - it had the loss of power issue where it would slowly pull away but then when it got to a certain point (i wasnt watching so i cant indicate a certain speed or rpm) it kicked in fine then the same thing happened after work on the way home - - loss of power when pulling away then after going a couple hundred feet it acted fine - on the way home i had to stop at a few red lights and i was curious if this problem would only happen when pulling away from a stop and it drove fine then - also when going 25 and stepping into the pedal it kicks down fine - the problem only seems to arise the first time you start it up ..... until today .....
this morning i jump in and turn the key on .. wait for the "wait to start" light to go off then crank the engine and it just cranks and cranks so i wait a second then it cranks and cranks and start to turn over and chug a little then when it seems like its going to start and i stop turning the key the engine dies and makes a weird blow out sound - you hear air released - seems like turbo or something releasing pressure

I dont have a vehicle scanner but when the problem with loss of power happened a few weeks ago i take it to my local shop that works on diesels and they scanned it and there were no problems and they couldn't replicate any issues so i took it home and it was fine for the last week or two until the last two days

any thoughts?
when i only had the loss of power at take off i thought it might have been the acceleration switch/ idle validation switch thats on the pedal but after the problem this morning im thinking its something with the turbo

any help is greatly appreciated - btw this is my first diesel ive owned so if your explaining something please give a good description without any shortcuts or quick references

Thanks!:ford:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
got it to start

i got it to turn over and start - still wasnt nice - it cranked and i pushed the pedal and gave it a little fuel then it started and i held the pedal down a little letting it idle at say 1200rpm for a little
then after releasing the pedal it idled at 550-600 rpm (normal )
i stood at the front with the hood up listening to it idle for 5-10 minutes
during that time i randomly hear a tick/clicking sound
sometimes it just ticks and continues to idle normally then other times itll tick and raise the idle to about 1000 rpm
im thinking theres something electrical now - kind of looking back at the idle validation/accleration switch on the gas pedal again
im going to take it off and check for any corrosion
are there any idle solenoids or anything like that i should be looking at under the hood
Thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
replaced the idle valdiation switch / gas pedal assembly and so far no problems

if anyone ever has an issue where they seem to have no power or lack of power for 5 or 10 second when they first pull away and they have chekced their fuel filter then check this sensor

it is on the floor and gets dirty and from what i have found out and talked around is somewhat a common issue across different makes and models

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i replaced the idle validation sensor and the problem went away from a couple of days ... then it came back today

and the weird thing is that up until now the problem has only ever happened the first time i pulled away from a location and not at any other time i have stopped at a light or sign but today there was no power increase when i pulled away from my house and then at the first light i had to stop and when i pulled away there was no power as well....
after that it was fine and when i pushed into the gas it would kick down and then when i drove home it fired up and no problems

is there something that needs to build up for the turbo that isnt?
sensor for turbo or something?
suggestions
thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does anyone have any ideas about it possibly being ICP or EBP

·
Registered
21 Posts
LOL my truck is acting the same way... it just will not pull itself anymore. It will maybe get to 25 mph. I have not fixed it yet but I will tell you what I have tried.

fuel filter
new fuel
low pressure pump
map sensor
IDM
unplugging ICP

On the list to try.

check fuel pressure regulator spring/seat
UVCH
wastgate/EBPC

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i looked into the exhaust back pressure sensor - the sensor was clogged with carbon build up and the tube leading into it was clogged - so far problem hasn't reoccured

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know my ebps is bad. the scanner says its reading like 5000psi which is physically impossible... I was under the impression this would not keep it from running.... I guess I'll throw one on..

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i checked my exhaust back pressure sensor and it was clogged with carbon residue - completely clogged and the line leading into it was also completely clogged.
After cleaning those out I haven't had the problem replicate. A new problem that came up as i took care of this is my oil temp gauge always reads the temp is at 2/3. Even after starting it up over night the gauge reads instantly that the oil is warm which i know it isnt.

Any ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts