Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 02 f350 7.3 six speed was running fine got stuck so I shut the truck off got my wife in my 6.0 to pull me out got everything hooked 7.3 turned over then stopped so I cycled the key again (bump) from the starter so I figured it's old I'll put a new starter in so I got the starter in hit the key same thing so I'm thinking moters junk I put a bar on the front of the cam moter turns over fairly easy turned it over by hand 2 turns hit the key it trys to start then bump all over again moved the moter back again tryed then bump can anyone help I think it's hydro locking but I'm not really sure

·
Registered
1999 F250 7.3L Crew Cab
25 Posts
Have you checked the positive cable that runs down to the starter, cable could be corroded. If you think its hydro locked the pull valve covers off (13 mm nuts) and take the glow plugs out (10 mm deep socket works best with a 4 inch extension) then disconnect the valve cover harnesses and bump it over a few times see if that'll help.

·
Premium Member
8,691 Posts
It can't be Hydro Locked if you're turning it over by hand easily though...

Sounds electrical and that you're only getting that "bump" because the Starter doesn't have enough power to it to do anything more. Here's an easy test, turn the headlights On and watch what happens to them when you try to start (takes two people). If they go dim then that means that the starter is getting lots of power (if your batteries are good and fully charged - make sure this isn't just low batteries first).

If they don't change much, stay bright, then the starter isn't able to draw much from the batteries and you have a cable/connection problem.

·
Registered
1999 F250 7.3L Crew Cab
25 Posts
It can't be Hydro Locked if you're turning it over by hand easily though...

Sounds electrical and that you're only getting that "bump" because the Starter doesn't have enough power to it to do anything more. Here's an easy test, turn the headlights On and watch what happens to them when you try to start (takes two people). If they go dim then that means that the starter is getting lots of power (if your batteries are good and fully charged - make sure this isn't just low batteries first).

If they don't change much, stay bright, then the starter isn't able to draw much from the batteries and you have a cable/connection problem.
Only reason why I'm not discounting it being hydro locked is he said he turned the engine back by hand after it failing to start so i was guessing he would be reversing the compression stroke which would allow him to try to bump over again

but I do think the starter could be problematic if you go underneath check the thick wire going from the solenoid to the motor and see the condition of that connection. Mine was barely starting in the colder mornings sometimes not at all and it was because of that connection rusting out. Even though the headlights dimmed it still was barely getting enough rpms for the cps to sense the engine was being cranked over.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I have coolent getting into one of my piston cause it only does it when I add coolant I blow a starter apart I've been told my EGR cooler could cause this

·
Registered
1999 F250 7.3L Crew Cab
25 Posts
Damn! That doesn't look too good, are you gonna replace with oem or go with an aftermarket starter?

And it is possible you've got a crack in your egr cooler if its for a 6.0 but 7.3s don't have any egr equipment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn! That doesn't look too good, are you gonna replace with oem or go with an aftermarket starter?

And it is possible you've got a crack in your egr cooler if its for a 6.0 but 7.3s don't have any egr equipment.
Oem got any aftermarket suggestions

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I have been driving it for a couple weeks now no antifreeze in it fires right up I have no issues with it and I only really drive it 10 maybe 20 minutes at a time cuz that's all I need it for and it does seem to be doing all right but I'm noticing that the smoke is not so much blue anymore more white is there anything other than head gasket it could be I really don't want to tear into this thing

·
Registered
1999 F250 7.3L Crew Cab
25 Posts
So I have been driving it for a couple weeks now no antifreeze in it fires right up I have no issues with it and I only really drive it 10 maybe 20 minutes at a time cuz that's all I need it for and it does seem to be doing all right but I'm noticing that the smoke is not so much blue anymore more white is there anything other than head gasket it could be I really don't want to tear into this thing
So id recommend running a fuel treatment through the engine, injectors may be a bit gunked after higher mileage. Also have you pulled the injectors at all ever? It could possibly be an o ring issue

Also with aftermarket starters theres a good write up here.

·
Registered
1999 F250 7.3L Crew Cab
25 Posts
Also if you wanna go with the fuel treatments, hotshots secret is really good and they also make an oil treatment to clean the oil side of the injectors which is really what you'd need to try and save those injectors for a bit longer, it comes in a gallon and smaller sizes depending on your preference. You add upon an oil change it replaces however many quarts the size of the bottle is and you just drive until the next change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts