Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand New here and trying to navigate the site....

I have a F450 super (date code 2/98) with a 7.3 and looking for some info on replacing the IDM. Cant seem to find a true answer on this. Some posts say all are the same for all years, some say they have to be specific to the year?? Recently have replaced the ICP sensor, Ipr valve crank position sensor and the HPOP. Now its not starting, cranks forever just wont kick off. I have had the IDM suggested as the cause... any insight on this? Was also told to replace the injectors but would like to see if the IDM (much cheaper) could be the problem..

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I'm assuming this is a 1999 SD truck (there were no 98 OBS trucks)? Anyway, on the 7.3 PSD any IDM from a 7.3 PSD (94-03) would work. Is oil level good? CEL illuminated? Fuel pressure good? Don't replace the injectors as it should run with even worn out units. Get it to start first. Cheers!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Any white smoke while cranking?

Have you had a scanner connected? Checked fuel pressure?

Injector replacement is the first response from inexperienced "7.3 mechanics"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fresh service done, all topped off. No CEL and fuel pressure is correct.

It does put out white smoke while cranking though it comes close but just wont kick off. I am hesitant to use starting fluid unless someone here believes this would be a recommended way to just get to start?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Either you do not have enough cranking juice or your glow plug relay and/or glow plugs are done.

DO NOT use starting fluid on a glow plug motor. This is how motors are damaged, ex. Cracked rings.

Check voltage across the glow plug relay. If good then I would check resistance of glow plugs.

Make sure battery terminals are good and clean and tight.

·
Vendor
12,801 Posts
What they said. Try using a pair of channel locks and bypass the glow plug solenoid. Have someone in the truck ready to crank while you hold the channel locks on the relay for about 30 seconds, and then crank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts