Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in mid December I bought 8 new glow plugs, after testing the ones in the truck only 3 were still operating...... No wounder right. Do not knowing any better I bought 8 autolites. PLEASE don't buy autolites. I had 2 go out in 2 months. So after some research most people have bad luck with them. Saying the tips can swell yada yada. Well after reading that I'm scared out of my mind about havin to tear into the head... So I went and bought some Bosch glow plugs yesterday and spent the evening replacing them for the second time this winter. I have to admit I'm gettin more efficient doing this project. I've had troubles all winter with my 7.3 and most times if not plugged in overnight I don't even bother trying to get it Started till its warm. I have the stancor relay new plug and also I switched to Rotella 5w40 synthetic. It was actually on sale at the parts store. So I'll be curious to see how the cold weather, now that it's almost spring, does for me now! I work 11 days startin early in the morning and by 6 in the evening my truck would be hard starting. This was December January February kinda thing but still can happen still gettin into the teen where I live. I know there is plenty of write ups on here about similar issues. But the more the better I rekon.

·
Registered
229 Posts
im pretty new to diesels and all and youll have to get it confirmed by someone who knows better than myself but have you ever tried diesel Rx glow plugs? i believe XDP sells the plugs and relays. either was diesels seem to be pretty picky in the cold. you could also try plugging the heater into a timmer so it comes on like 3 hours before you need it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I got the diesel RX glow plugs and they have treated me fine - after researching glow plugs these seemed like some of the best

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plugging it in isn't the problem. Well kinda. What if I'm somewhere with no electricity? I already put Bosch plugs in. And have the stancor relay. But latest report is good. I also changed to 5w40 synthetic oil. And between the new plugs and oil starts and levels off just as I would dream of. Now the thoughts of selling the truck and going with some thing else are gone. Whew. A relief. Now I should be so worried about hard starts!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts