Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading alot about upgrading (tiny) 7.3 trans cooler to the bigger 6.0 cooler. Everybody is saying the 6.0 cooler will bolt right into place,which I agree with. Question is, Will the cooler lines need to be modified? If so can someone who has actually done this upgrade talk me through it? Because I am going to do this upgrade and could really use the help. Thank-you very much in advance.

·
Registered
291 Posts
yes i would also like to hear how it is down and if it would be worth it to use the 6.0 cooler or an after market one because i think im goin to be rebuilding my first tranny soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had it done..

Well I didn't physically do it myself, but my Diesel Tech where I get my heavy work done said it was a piece of cake. He installed the Sonnax kit too and since he had it in there for that I had them do a flush and fill along with the 6.0 tranny cooler I got off of ebay. He just had to adapt some hoses because I believe he said the 6.0 lines were larger than the stock. Now when I am towing my 9500 fiver, I see 75* above outside temp most of the time, unless I am approaching the 100* to 105* outside temp, then I see 160 and have NEVER (fingers crossed) never seen over 160*. I look at my overhead temp and just ad 75 to that. In the 50*-75* outside temp, I usually see 120-130 and even on the hottest of days last summer only saw a max of 160, so I would say it is DEFINITELY worth the investment, reasearch and time to either install it yourself or have it installed professionally. I got mine for $85 delivered to my door, but then again that was 2 years ago...Good luck finding one..Dave

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Dude I had one in my truck and it is definatly worth doing. Just do it and be done with it.

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,885 Posts
I had a big huge aftermarket cooler put on mine when I rebuilt the tranny a few months ago. I don't know how much the 6.0 cooler costs, but a good huge aftermarket is worth it!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx you all

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
One think many forget to do when upgrading to a 6.0 cooler is to make sure you have 3/8" tranny lines..you can get a kit to do this from Tymar. Kit will come set up for your cooler!!!

Cary

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Sorry CaryT you need 1/2" lines , the stock lines are 3/8" The install is very easy I have posted a how to many times on the forum. The easiest way to pull the old and install the new is from the top. I didn't have the rad cooler, so basically pull the rubber cover off the top in front of degas bottle, pull the bolt out of the bracket that holds the right side of the AC condensor to the truck, this will allow it to flex out of the way, now pull the grill off ( 4 screws on top, and 4 spring clips down under) I also pulled my hood latch, with a long extension remove 3 of the 4 bolts holding the cooler in place, crawl under truck, place vice grips on rubber trans lines to close them off, cut the rubber lines close to the cooler, remove 4th bolt and place a rag over the top of the condensor or you arm will look like it was in a cat fight, pull cooler out from top, install new cooler, fasten with all 4 bolts. Now go back to where the hard line ends on the frame and follow the rubber lines, stagger your cut's about 4" apart and cut the soft lines and install your brass barbed adaptors that are 3/8 on one end and 1/2 on the other, now simply run your hoses the way you want and zip tie out of the way. There is no flow direction to a trans cooler, but the factory plums it with the inlet on drivers side. If you have the cooler in the rad. The only difference is where you covert from 3/8 to 1/2 you will do this between the rad and trans cooler on the inlet and on thew return it will be the same as without the rad cooler, ( close to the metal return line on the frame). Maybe someone can put this in the tech files. If you have any ? PM me

NCH

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
I know the cooler has 1/2" barb fittings but some trucks have 5/16" hard lines from the trans..Tymar has a kit with new 3/8" hard lines with all the adapters needed to hook up to the radator and the 6.0 cooler.

cary

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
runnin cool

Did the cooler replacment and tranny never went over 135. outside temp was around 80. I think my stock cooler must have been gummed up or something. I just wanted to thank everyone- NCHORNET-Thanx buddy,really useful info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I changed mine over about 3 months ago, along with a 6.0 intercooler. No problems, trans temp has yet to get above 145 even with a loaded 53 ft gooseneck

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Ok, this is something I'm going to do while I change out my tranny fluid. Just got to find a 6.0 cooler...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I cant wait to get my cooler in I see around 160 with its about 80 outside in stop and go might see 170 well see if i can get a change just picked a brand new 6.0 cooler off ebay for 70 bucks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am looking for a 6.0 cooler if anyone has one let me know.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Check ebay man mine was under superduty cooler it said nothing about transmission or anything I just matched part numbers.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am in the process of hooking up my 6.0 cooler and my old 7.3 cooler has bolt on fittings do i use the metal pipes that run to the hose or do i just hose clamp the new 1/2 inch to the 6.0 cooler

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You need to use 1/2 by 3/8 barbed fitting with hoseclamps and buy 8 ft of 1/2 in hose, 7.3 lines are 3/8 inch and new cooler is 1/2 in. Cut your lines on 7.3 cooler down under bumper by front of motor where you can get to em. reroute new lines back in same place as old ones went.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
can you guys please tell me more about your install? My truck (crazy as it seems) does not have a stock cooler. only the radiator and the one the shop added when they rebuilt my tranny. so I got my 6.0 cooler and today started to pull apart my truck to fit it in there. i had to pull the front apart to fit my tools and hands in there to bolt the new one in. i took off the grill and also the part that goes across the front end with the headlights attached. Did you guys pull that part off too? I ran out of light to finish up tonight, but it fits in there beind the ac rad in the front.

Also not having the bolts from the MIA stock cooler. i am going to bolt the ears on the 6.0 cooler to the sides where i assume the stock one bolted. do i need to attach the bottom too? If so it does not seem like there is an easy way to do this since that cross member under the rad is boxed and I can not get a socket in there to get a bolt to attach...

O and for anyone reading this that wants to upgrade, finding 1/2 trans hose is freakin hard! i ended up finding it a big rig shop after callin all over and dealers and tranny shops. i ended up getting the number for the big rig place from one of the tranny shops i called. the hose barbs were easy. got those from a local plumbing/industrial store that my company gets lots of their little parts from. lowes probably has them too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I found my fittings at home depot pretty simple after you sort through the mess of miss matched bags and tags.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts