Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone i just recently purchased my 99 f-250 and im totally new to the whole diesel world so i was just wanting to know what the best prformance upgrades for the money would be as long as any other recommndations you all have thanks.

Evan

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Hey there! I just bought my '99 f250 last night also!!

straight pipe, cat delete, tymar diy intake, and a tuner and you'll be rolling coal all night long.

·
Registered
133 Posts
diy intake
zoodad mod
straigt pipe her, there is no other sound like it:woot:
And if you want to get more out of her go ahead and get a chip , it will totaly wake your rig up:thumb: , just be sure to get a set of gauges first. Pyro, trany temp(if auto) and boost gauge:liar:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Do you have an early or late 99? Check your build date on the door

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
First let er breathe. Do the DIY intake with a 6637 Napa filter, and cut the muffler (and cat if it has one). Then before you get any sort of chip, get a good set of gauges, pyro, boost, and trans temp is usually what most get. Then get yourself a custom tuned chip. There are many to choose from.

Total Diesel Performance, usually referred to as a TW for Tony Wildman, i have one and love it
Beans
DP Tuner
Swamps
Power Hungry Performance
Brians Truck Shop

I may be forgetting a few. You really cant go wrong with any of them. Just call them and talk to them and decide for yourself which you like best.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which one would you rather have an early 99 or the later 99? And as for gauges i have pyro and boost i heard you dont need tranny temp if you have a manual correct me if im wrong. I also have the intake upgrade and about the tuners do i need to upgrade my headbolts so they dont stretch out if i were to purchase one?

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Which one would you rather have an early 99 or the later 99? And as for gauges i have pyro and boost i heard you dont need tranny temp if you have a manual correct me if im wrong. I also have the intake upgrade and about the tuners do i need to upgrade my headbolts so they dont stretch out if i were to purchase one?
Late 99 is better. Early 99 are kind of a bastard child. They have smaller injectors and turbo than the late 99, 2" plenum intakes rather than the 3" on the late. Thats the biggest differences.

With a manual you don't really need a temp gauge from what ive heard too. Personally i probably would, but i just like to know what every part of my vehicle is doing.

You don't have to worry about studs at this point. With the 7.3, the gaskets and bolts are good til you start hitting power that gives you more than 45 psi of boost. Meaning not until you have big injectors and stuff.

·
Registered
133 Posts
:agree:..................

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,739 Posts
Late 99 is better. Early 99 are kind of a bastard child. They have smaller injectors and turbo than the late 99, 2" plenum intakes rather than the 3" on the late. Thats the biggest differences.

With a manual you don't really need a temp gauge from what ive heard too. Personally i probably would, but i just like to know what every part of my vehicle is doing.

You don't have to worry about studs at this point. With the 7.3, the gaskets and bolts are good til you start hitting power that gives you more than 45 psi of boost. Meaning not until you have big injectors and stuff.
Boy was I feeling the pain of this when I converted over last weekend!:doh:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mine still runs good my turbo doesnt surge:rofl:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so i checked and mine says it was built 4/99 so is that good ? And on getting a chip how much boost will that increase? like when would i know i would need to do the arp headstuds?

·
Registered
646 Posts
That is a late 99. Yours has slightly bigger injectors and a larger compressor side on the turbo. You might want to look into the wicked wheel, incase you have turbo surge. No I push 28 psi max on my early 99, I believe late 99s dont push much more than that. No need for studs unless you do big injectors and a turbo sometime. Dont worry about studs now.

This is the wicked wheel, it makes the turbo much louder but usually will remove turbo surge the late 99 - 03 encounter.
Xtreme Diesel's X-Wheel Compressor Wheel

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Pretty sure our '99s come stock with the wicked wheel

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok idk for sure but either the people who had the truck before me did it or it comes stock with the wicked wheel like (85 305) said. im only saying this because i noticed Kyle said it makes the turbo much louder and to me mine is loud as hell compared to the other diesels on the road i hear. and im thinking im only pushing around 20 psi thats with it to the floor so a chips only going to give me around and 8-10 psi difference?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
^Ya I'm pretty sure our '99s have the wicked wheel because they ARE generally louder than newer year 7.3's.. and I've read on here that us '99ers dont have to worry about the wicked wheel since its stock

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Ok so i checked and mine says it was built 4/99 so is that good ? And on getting a chip how much boost will that increase? like when would i know i would need to do the arp headstuds?
You have a late 99.:thumb: With a chip you'll probably max about 28 psi. No need for studs.

That is a late 99. Yours has slightly bigger injectors and a larger compressor side on the turbo. You might want to look into the wicked wheel, incase you have turbo surge. No I push 28 psi max on my early 99, I believe late 99s dont push much more than that. No need for studs unless you do big injectors and a turbo sometime. Dont worry about studs now.

This is the wicked wheel, it makes the turbo much louder but usually will remove turbo surge the late 99 - 03 encounter.
Xtreme Diesel's X-Wheel Compressor Wheel
:agree:

Pretty sure our '99s come stock with the wicked wheel
Only early 99s had it out of the factory. One easy way to tell is to take the intake tubing off of the turbo inlet (filter side) and look at the wheel, if all the blades are equal length, you do not have a wicked wheel, if the blade lengths alternate, you do have a WW.

·
Too cool for school
9,886 Posts
That is a late 99. Yours has slightly bigger injectors and a larger compressor side on the turbo. l[/url]
Doesn't the early '99 have a 1.10 compressor, and the late '99-up has a 1.0 compressor?

both with .84 exhaust housings of course

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just bought an early 99 and am wondering what the best and safest tune is to get. I just read a post saying the early 99 was the bastard truch with a smaller turbo?I thought the early 99 had a wicked wheel from the factory and that is a good thing.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Best and safest tunes would be custom tunes. Earlys are kinda the bastard child. You are correct, they have the WW out of the factory, they just have different housings than the newer trucks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok thanks a lot guys i appreciate all the info im learning a lot. so give me some opinions on a chip to buy and some prices if you know ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts