Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the air inlet tube off and found my compressor wheel to have chips in it. i have been looking online and found alot of people talking about having the turbo balanced after changing compressor wheel. i understand why and was wondering would a kit from kc turbo called the balanced rotating assembly be all i need.

i also have already disassembled my turbo to inspect it and found oil leaking from the seals on the ends of the turbo shaft. i know i will have to rebuild it either way.

just wondering if anybody has used these kits? Is it all i need to rebuild the turbo? is this the way i should go?

The truck is basically stock factory injectors. only performance mods 6 position chip and 3in downpipe. It is a 5sp truck. For the next couple years it will stay mostly stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I don’t have any experience with that kit. I have however installed a ww2 from Dieselsite in my 2000 7.3. As far as I am aware, with threaded wheels, the wheel is neutral balanced and the turbine shaft should be as well. So, in theory, the two can be threaded together and still be within factory tolerance with regard to balance. Maybe I was just lucky, but we also do this with our triple turbo pulling tractor without issue.

We do not use impacts on it though!!!!!
The turbo is removed and disassembled so a wrench or socket can be put on the turbine nut and torque the compressor wheel.

I also added a 360* thrust bearing to my 7.3 turbo for added measure.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would highly recommend balancing the rotating cartridge.

I had a WW2 fitted some years ago and didn't do the balance on the CHRA, this was ok for thousands of miles.

Then on the way home after our travels with the travel trailer the shaft broke and let us down, and not to mention the breakdown fee.

So for just a little extra cost you can have trouble free motoring and peice of mind.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
12,870 Posts
I took the air inlet tube off and found my compressor wheel to have chips in it. i have been looking online and found alot of people talking about having the turbo balanced after changing compressor wheel. i understand why and was wondering would a kit from kc turbo called the balanced rotating assembly be all i need.

i also have already disassembled my turbo to inspect it and found oil leaking from the seals on the ends of the turbo shaft. i know i will have to rebuild it either way.

just wondering if anybody has used these kits? Is it all i need to rebuild the turbo? is this the way i should go?

The truck is basically stock factory injectors. only performance mods 6 position chip and 3in downpipe. It is a 5sp truck. For the next couple years it will stay mostly stock.
The balanced rotating assembly from KC is a better way to go, but isn't necessary. Each part (turbine wheel and compressor wheel) are component balanced. Meaning each they are balanced separately. High volume turbo manufacturers do not balance them as an assembly.

That being said, the KC assembly is much better not because it's assembly balanced, but because of the upgraded turbine wheel. It's a big improvement with their billet compressor wheel.

We keep their kits on the shelf.

https://cncfab.us/i-30498942-kc-turbos-94-03-7-3l-s300-turbine-360-bearing-billet-wheel-kit-300317.html

www.cncfab.us

1 - 5 of 5 Posts