Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the forum. I have a 2000 ford excursion with a 7.3 diesel, it has some trouble starting even on a 70 degree day I have to crank for 30-40 seconds before it will start any advice?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Hey guys new to the forum. I have a 2000 ford excursion with a 7.3 diesel, it has some trouble starting even on a 70 degree day I have to crank for 30-40 seconds before it will start any advice?
Welcome to the Org!

First, have both batteries checked, one at a time. Check all battery cables to make sure they are OK. Pay extra attention to where the negative battery cables attach to the block. If that all checks good, look into the glow plug relay, and then finally the glow plugs.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
after the batteries i would check ICP or IPR sensor's.
if its 70 degrees you shouldnt even need the glow plugs.
also maybe get the diagnostic codes read.

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
I don't think, at 70 degrees your Glow Plug System plays much of a role in starting...

Low compression can do it (you have very high mileage?) low oil pressure supplying the HPOP can do it (does a cold restart take as long or is this only after an overnight "sit"?) also the HPOP reservoir can drain empty and need time to refill causing a long start like that.

Oil due for a change, level good?
Air & Oil Filters current?
Runs well, has plenty of power otherwise?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only has 50,000 original miles on it I have owned and babied it since I brought it new in 2000! Plenty of power otherwise I will look at how long since the last oil change and figure out how to check those sensors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem update: The HPOP oil level looks good. I tested the GPR and it failed so I replaced it and am still not getting any voltage on the other terminal when I cycle the glow plugs. Any Ideas?

Dan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Take your starter off an go have it tested at AutoZone or O'riellys my truck had a a similar issue I had checked everything the starter seemed like it was working fine but when tested was pretty much shot slapped a new one on an she fired right up an being that it is as old as it is it's seen a few starts

If you dont know the starter is right behind the passenger side wheel well
if in not mistaken

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
598 Posts
At 70 degrees the GPR and Glow plugs don't even come on, I think it has to be 50 or lower for the GPR to come on. I think? I do know that's not why your 7.3 not starting. I agree with checking starter, batteries, oil level in hpop resivior.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
It only has 50,000 original miles on it I have owned and babied it since I brought it new in 2000! Plenty of power otherwise I will look at how long since the last oil change and figure out how to check those sensors.
Wow thats awesome! Hell of a truck. You've got some money sitting under your right foot, FYI.....

But it sounds like low hpop pressure or FP. Check the HPOP reservoir when it's been sitting before you crank on it.

Does it only do this for the first cold start of the day? Or ANY time you try starting the truck?

MAYBE even the CPS on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It cranks long even when it's warm I messed around with it for a while yesterday and couldn't figure it out. I'm taking it to a local diesel performance shop to get looked at today

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Thats a good way to spend a lot of money...

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I just asked you a few questions that will help narrow your search down a few posts up, and you never wrote back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just asked you a few questions that will help narrow your search down a few posts up, and you never wrote back.
I checked the hpop level yesterday after it sat for a few days and it looked ok. It takes a while to crank over hot or cold but more so when cold. The batteries are only a year old and I leave a battery tender on it since I barley use it. I wasn't really sure what else to check. I wasn't getting 12 v reading on the gpr when I cycled the glow plugs ever after I swapped it out, I'm sure I'm testing it right because I tested it on my 99 powerstroke and it tested fine. As someone was saying at warm temps the glow plugs shouldn't have much of a effect anyway. I took it to the shop this morning and will update on what they find.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
We needed more time and information.... sorry you took it to the dealer.

Keep us posted :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts