Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly controlls the timing on the 7.3? Is there anything? I am relatively new into this serious stuff and curious.

·
Registered
601 Posts
i think it is just the CPS that sends a signal to the ECU.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,272 Posts
IDM probably has something to do with it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just thinking...Bad, I know! on a gas burner, you can buy a MSD Retard control that is basically a turn dial, that the driver can turn, to add or remove timing to the engine. Is there anything like this for the PSD??? Again, bad thoughts!!!

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
cam sensor reads top dead center , nothing like a gas engine the way its timing is read , the cam sensor reads the gear on thge cam,sends the sigal to the pcm, pcm takes readings from that icp pressure and other sensors to establish fuel pulse width , which is also sent to idm to fire injectors , you can buy a dial controller that ties in with the icp sensor to adust fuel timing on a powerstroke, what would be the reason to want to do that

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just am looking for a way to pop my injectors a little earlier...

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
cam sensor reads top dead center , nothing like a gas engine the way its timing is read , the cam sensor reads the gear on thge cam,sends the sigal to the pcm, pcm takes readings from that icp pressure and other sensors to establish fuel pulse width , which is also sent to idm to fire injectors , you can buy a dial controller that ties in with the icp sensor to adust fuel timing on a powerstroke, what would be the reason to want to do that

ENGLISH dude!!! ENGLISH!!:crazy::hehe:

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
ENGLISH dude!!! ENGLISH!!:crazy::hehe:
What's wrong Shane... I understood exactly what he said!!!!

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm interested in this thread because its recommended that you advance timing 3-4 degrees when running on vegetable oil. How hard is it to do?

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
You might be able to buy a chip that advances the timing. Call your tuner of choice and ask away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts