Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with in the last couple moths or so I have notice my truck like stutters when I'm driving it. Its like someone is patting the throttle and the truck will jerk a little bit. It does it more when I'm just cruising at like 35 or 40 MPH but on the interstate it doesn't seem to ever do it. Not really sure what it could be.

Little information about the truck
Late 1999 7.3 with about 157,000 miles on it.
php hydra chip, air intake, turbo wheel, exhaust
new glow plugs and valve cover wiring harneses
oil was changed not too long ago
don't remember exactly when the fuel filter was replaced
trans was just flushed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is the torque converter original? that is also a symptom of a fuel pressure spring getting worn out but that is usually present at all speeds.
check the health of your map sensor line and check your ebp sensor make sure the tube is clear as well as the sensor

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if the torque converter is original or not. the trans had the tugger kit installed before I bought it so I would think maybe it got a new one then. A diesel performance shop redid my map sensor a while ago because a wire had been cut. I will check the EBP tomorrow. I'm not sure if that would actually make the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
probably not but sometimes the trucks can be finicky. How much play do your U-joints have? and when was the last time you greased your slip yoke?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
U-joints were good when I checked them over thanksgiving and I have not greased the slip yoke. But to me it seems more like something in the motor though.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Have you change the CPS?

Whenever my truck starts acting funny, it is usually my CPS starting too go bad, that's why I stopped buying the parts store one's. Now that I have a Ford supplied CPS no issue's:D

·
Registered
769 Posts
might be that lope tune......

Reactions: sbluke55

·
Registered
769 Posts
on a more helpful note, likely the CPS, mine does it when there is heavy moisture in the air, heavy fog, rain, wet snow, whatever.....

Jim

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't remember if I changed it last year or not. But I will look into that too.

Thanks so much jimmyp. The lope tune honestly never gets used though.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Your going to ned to get it scanned before throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's no check engine light or anything. Bu next time in home ill plug the scan tool on it.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
No codes usually is a fuel problem. When was your fuel filter changed. Where was your tank level at

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fuel filter hasn't been changed for a while. That is coming up real soon, and the take gets run somewhat low, fuel light has only come on once quite a while back.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I say change the filter and have at least 1/2 tank and try her again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Engine shake issue

So I have a 2001 F250 7.3 PSD with 92,000k. Back in early January one time the truck engine began running funny at 55mph. It was if an injector was not working properly or that some water was in the fuel and being burned off. The steering column shook from the engine issue. Then, after a few minutes the truck began running normal again. I have since filled the tank 5 times and added a winter diesel fuel treatment at each fill-up. Then just yesterday the issue reared its head again, this time in the 45mph range. I did notice that at one point, after the truck idling for a bit when I accelerated a puff of blue smoke came out of exhaust. Otherwise, exhaust is typically white when air is cold, then non existent.

Note: The fuel filter was changed about 2000 miles ago.

Any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My problem is a little different than his. The steering column doesn't shake or anything. It is almost like someone is pushing the gas down just slightly and then letting off a little and back on and then it goes away but will com back again.

And I will try the filter soon and see. Just haven't had time with school.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
35-40 MPH is the lowest speed that O/D will kick in. Mine does the same thing, and it's my transmission getting jerky in O/D. Not saying that's your problem, just something to consider.

Did it do I before the transmission flush?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I was having the same issues and replaced all sensors and wiring harness everything to do with the injection system. I checked my drive shaft a couple times but never noticed my rear u joint was bad well low and behold thts where my studder was coming from and when the drive shaft gave way it cracked my trans is half from pan flange to pan flange. My truck is a extended cab 4x4 so it's one shaft no carrier bearing to take the shock. I have a new low stall billet tourqe converter also but anyway I go lucky and my trans guy had a 4r100 2wd trans that was bad and swapped all my internals into it for 350 bucks he said my trans was in excellent shape. Not to sound like I'm a idiot because I'm kinda the town 7.3 guy that usually can figure out the problem but on my own truck it have me hell having the studder from 35-50 mph damn $8 u joint cost me about $1000 bucks lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts