Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was warming up my truck this morning when it died. I tried to restart it it ran for a second and died again then it wouldn't start at all. There are no blown fuses and it has fuel in the bowl. There is oil about 2/3 the way up in the HPOP res. I'm not sure how much oil and what type should be in there and do I fill the res. or is that just to see if the pump is working and it to late once it's low type of thing.I tried spraying wd-40 in it and it still wouldn/t start. This is the fourth breakdown in 8 days unbelievable. This is my first diesel and I only know what I've read on this forum. Thanks to everyone by the way this is a great site.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
The HPOP runs off the same oil as the engine. Check your engine oil level first. Try not using starting fluid...

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
Give us some more info on the truck. Year/ mods/miles. That will help us help you.:nod: has it done this for 8 days? Start and shut down, and start back up?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck is a 97 F350 4x4 crew cab. This seems to be a new problem. I replaced the fuel pump that was the first problem then I had a short that I created when replacing the pump. I figured that out and the next problem was a clogged fuel filter. I can see these are related problems especially the short I created. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with todays problem.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
The truck is a 97 F350 4x4 crew cab. This seems to be a new problem. I replaced the fuel pump that was the first problem then I had a short that I created when replacing the pump. I figured that out and the next problem was a clogged fuel filter. I can see these are related problems especially the short I created. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with todays problem.
sounds like your saying you have an electric fuel system

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The truck has 265,xxx miles on it. the engine oil level is full. I have a wait to start light.
I only have about 9.5 v when cranking but would low volt have caused it to die after it was running?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was bolting down the fuel bowl it pinched a harness with 2 wires in it and grounded one of them to the engine blowing fuse# 9. I fixed that and had it running for a couple days before it stopped again.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I was bolting down the fuel bowl it pinched a harness with 2 wires in it and grounded one of them to the engine blowing fuse# 9. I fixed that and had it running for a couple days before it stopped again.
check that, it could have came apart or grounded together again

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that's good thinking I'm going to look right now before it gets dark on me. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I charged the batteries and it still won't start. I guess I need to get a scanner on it. Does anyone know of an inexpensive scan tool?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts