Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 99 f350 dually crew cab 8 ft bed 4x4 as a work truck. It runs well but it smokes alot though. Mainly at start up and once it warms up it diminishes. It burns a little bit of oil but not as much as you think. I'm guessing it's blow by. I was wondering what you guys thought the issue is? The only other thing it may be is the injectors.
Like I stated before I'm guessing blow by. The truck still has power and averages 15 mpg in the city which I think is pretty good but raises some questions. If it is blow by I'll need to address the engine what is better and cost effective, rebuild or remanufactured? I look forward to your responses.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Try the oil cap turned up-side down trick to see if it the blow by is excessive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Whats the the oil cap trick ive heard of it whats it suposed to mean

·
Registered
91 Posts
Try the oil cap turned up-side down trick to see if it the blow by is excessive.
whats this trick?

put it on (place it on) up side down? if it moves off its excessive?

i was wondering what is excessive blow by, my 7.3 smokes a very little out of the oil cap when i take it off but i thought this was normal

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
What kind of smoke? Blue, black, white?
Mine at 315k miles has a decent amount of blowby but it's still fine. They are tough engines. You can always compression test each cylinder to make sure they're good.
Flipping the 710 cap upside down on the filler is just a quick way to judge blow by and how much. If it lifts it off, that's a little too much.
If you have a steady stream, it's just a worn engine. If there are big, individual puffs then that's indicating one cylinder is worse than the others.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Do mechanics do leakdown tests on diesel trucks? Those are the most accurate way to check a gas engine. Dunno if it applies to diesels.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
You can, but no one really makes adapters to fit in glow plugs, but you could probably make it work off a compression tester fitting.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
when you do the 710 cap test be sure the motor is cold. what i mean by cold is ambient temp.

a compression test is the most reliable way to get the data. its possible you have a cracked injector cup or bad injector o-rings something and have it fail a compression test. you can try replacing the o-rings and inspecing the cups, after that its pretty much a dusted motor.

blackwater engines has some pretty decent prices.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Threads like this one always make me worry.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
But i've got 314k miles. That should make you feel better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've never done this test till now, and I got a steady stream rollin out of the fill cap and the dipstick tube. Anything I can do to help it? Or just deal with it til she goes? 7.3 with 183000 on er

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
You can pull the motor, dismantle it, rebore, rering, reinstal. Done.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ya that easy.

Seem like alot to do to a motor that only has 180k on it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ok. So I leave it alone and not worry bout it?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Correct. Unless it's running poorly then it's fine. Eventually I'll have to rebuild mine, but I'm gonna guess not until .5MILLION at least.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts