Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 1987 7.3 f350 the guy replaced the starter the relay the glow plug timer and the glow plugs and the truck just cranks no start only starts when i put starting fluid in it doesnt matter if its warm out or cold and the trucks been running for 10 minutes it will start a few minutes later

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Are you sure it is an 87 with a 7.3L

Whoa first off stop using ether. All that is going to do is possibly cause damage to the engine.

Did you check the Glowplug relay. What about fuzes did you check to see if any are blown. Fuel heater working ok and not shorted out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he said the relay was new and the fuses are good i dident check the ones under the hood also he had a 7.3 swap in the truck when i first seen the truck it looked like a 6.9 but i was told different is there a way to tell definate

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
he said the relay was new and the fuses are good i dident check the ones under the hood also he had a 7.3 swap in the truck when i first seen the truck it looked like a 6.9 but i was told different is there a way to tell definate
You can try and find the casting numbers on the engine. Or try and look on the valve covers see if the engine information is still on one ov the valve covers.

If you find the casting numbers you could search them on google. Or someone here might be able to tell you what it is by the casting numbers.

Check the fuzes under the hood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the valve covers are painted ill check the fuses tommorow if the fuses are good could could it be something with the fuel at start up it seems to itle right when its when its started

·
Registered
134 Posts
Make sure you do not have a fuel leak in the line from the tank to the mechanical fuel pump letting the fuel drain back. I had a situation where the rubber line at the fuel pump was dry rotted and letting the fuel line suck air and bleed back. Truck wouldn't start for nothing. I agree with the guys about not using ether to start the truck. If you don't want to pull the heads to get the embedded tip of the glow plug off out of one of your pistons, don't use it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts