Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi There.I am new to forums and not an expert on a computer, but here goes.
I purchased a 99 F350 recently and am very pleased with the truck,except it has a big oil leak that I cannot seem to remedy.It has a Garrett aftermarket turbo and a 3 position chip and 4" exhaust.The truck runs awesome and has a lot of power.
I took the truck to a diesel specialty shop to have the leak fixed.They said it was the oil cooler pump and replaced it with a new one,stopped the leak for about 10 minutes and then it started to leak again.They then told me that they thought the engine was building up pressure in the crankcase and there would be no end to fixing the leaks.I drove the truck 10 miles home and oil was pouring out under the truck.Way more than when I took it in.
I got online and checked some forums and the general concensus is that it is either the turbo pedestal base or the HPOP.A friend and I changed the o rings in the turbo pedestal base and checked the valley and the HPOP for oil but it was dry.Started the truck and same leaking.Next we pulled the tranny and replaced the crankseal.Started the truck and all was OK until we drove a ways and then leak returned.I just checked the HPOP again and it all seems dry.When I look under the truck there is oil coming out of the flywheel inspection cover and generally around the rear of the engine.It was dripping engine oil off the transmission lines as well.Does anyone have any ideas about this? The turbo wastegate has also been disabled.Previous owner said it was for the aftermarket turbo.Engine has 125k. Thanks

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
No ideas from me but... :ORG welcome:

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
Maybe the turbo pedestal? I know that happens on the older (OBS) trucks.
Craig

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Did you check all the oil galley plugs and the hpop hoses where they connecto to the heads?

If you have checked hpop and turbo pedestal that would be my next suggestion.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Why would the shop think pressure was building in the crank case? Does this truck have the CCV mod?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know what a CCV mod is.Shop made diagnosis based on removing the oil cap and observing some gasses escaping.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I don't know what a CCV mod is.Shop made diagnosis based on removing the oil cap and observing some gasses escaping.
While it was running? That'd be smoke. Burning a little oil, it does that, it's a diesel. LOL "building pressure" yeah with blowby which pushes smoke out the cap if it's running....

:ORG welcome: bud hope you get it figured out. Maybe something is cracked...?

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Hi There.I am new to forums and not an expert on a computer, but here goes.
I purchased a 99 F350 recently and am very pleased with the truck,except it has a big oil leak that I cannot seem to remedy.It has a Garrett aftermarket turbo and a 3 position chip and 4" exhaust.The truck runs awesome and has a lot of power.
I took the truck to a diesel specialty shop to have the leak fixed.They said it was the oil cooler pump and replaced it with a new one,stopped the leak for about 10 minutes and then it started to leak again.They then told me that they thought the engine was building up pressure in the crankcase and there would be no end to fixing the leaks.

This makes my brain hurt. If you take off the intake tube from the airbox to the CCV, you'll see the port facing you inside the tube. This is where the the airflow draws in gasses (blow by and whatnot) back into the turbo passing them back into the engine to be burnt off. *IF* you had a problem you would see it when the engine is idling. Take off the oil fill cap when the engine is hot and idling. You'll see a nice steady stream is whitish smoke. This is normal. Put your hand on top of the oil fill. You should not feel any real pressure. *IF* your engine was building up so much pressure that it was blowing oil out, you wouldn't be able to hold you hand on the tube.

Also, how would pressure blow oil out? I understand some seepage, but come on. :dunno:

I drove the truck 10 miles home and oil was pouring out under the truck.Way more than when I took it in.

Don't go back to that shop.

I got online and checked some forums and the general concensus is that it is either the turbo pedestal base or the HPOP.A friend and I changed the o rings in the turbo pedestal base and checked the valley and the HPOP for oil but it was dry.

If HPOP/HPOP lines/Orings burst, your valley won't be dry. All three (doesn't matter which) will leak towards the rear of the engine as the valley fills are runs back due to the angle of the motor.

Started the truck and same leaking.Next we pulled the tranny and replaced the crankseal.Started the truck and all was OK until we drove a ways and then leak returned.

How long is a ways? Did you look all around the back of the block/back of heads?

I just checked the HPOP again and it all seems dry.When I look under the truck there is oil coming out of the flywheel inspection cover and generally around the rear of the engine.It was dripping engine oil off the transmission lines as well.Does anyone have any ideas about this? The turbo wastegate has also been disabled.Previous owner said it was for the aftermarket turbo.Engine has 125k. Thanks
Answers/questions in red.

EDIT: I still can't remember ever seeing a CCV plugging up.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drove the truck 2000 miles after I purchased it.I had to add 2 quarts of oil.I am sure most of it leaked out.The truck doesn't smoke at all,except for black smoke when you punch it hard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When the oil cap is off and the engine is idling there is a steady stream of whitish smoke.I also took off the air cleaner and the exhaust gasses are coming up and into the turbo.After we changed the cranseal we drove about 8 miles and stopped.This is when we saw that it was leaking again.Have not checked the very back of heads.It's been raining non-stop for days here and I don't have a garage.

·
Registered
781 Posts
i know that you have hered pedistal but i had the same problem with my 97 and the reason for the leak was that the warm up valve rod that comes out has an o ring and when i pulled off my trubo i broke it posible for when they changed the turbo out they did the same. the way that i found the problem is i started the truck and looked with a light under the trubo and seen the leak. good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What shapes your main in? You're scenario sounds exactly like mine. One of the local dealerships had my truck for a total of 2 months. The swapped the Turbo, Turbo pedistal and HPOP orings. One of the times they stated that it was my AFE stage 2 intake causing the problem. I chuckled at the tech and told him he had to be smoking something. They replaced the main and my oil leak disappeared. Yeah that sounds strange to me also. All my oil would show up on the alley just like yours. Prior to my first visit, I had a friends transmission shop install a shift kit and check out the main. It was in good shape. According to the Dealership, It would only leak oil when it was heated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally solved the problem.It was the rear main seal.The first seal didn't do the trick.Replaced it again and ,no more oil leak.Thank you all for your input.Keep on Truckin'

1 - 19 of 19 Posts