Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I'm changing the oil in my 99 7.3 today second day of owning it. What 5w40 and filter does anyone recommend using?

Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay was more hoping for recommendations on what's good cuz I'm sure there's way more then just one brand of filter for the truck

·
Super Moderator
19,330 Posts
I use Rotella T6 5W40 (with a FL-1995 filter) in my '01.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Alright I'm changing the oil in my 99 7.3 today second day of owning it. What 5w40 and filter does anyone recommend using?

Thanks.
I use the motorcraft FL-1995 and Rotella 5w-40 in both my trucks. I also have used the archoil ar9100 oil additive in both my trucks with good results.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I use the motorcraft FL-1995 and Rotella 5w-40 in both my trucks. I also have used the archoil ar9100 oil additive in both my trucks with good results.
I use the same but 15w-40 with the fl-1995. I use the archoil fuel additive every few fill ups and have the oil additive for my fall oil change. Powerstroke help is offering a free sample of a new archoil fuel additive I ordered ($5 shipping).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,572 Posts

Thanks.

In your other thread people already (myself included) recommended the motorcraft oil filter. You;ll not find many folks recommending wix, fram, donald and aftermarket brands for a reason. Most aftermarkets are actually more expensive too.

Oil is hotley debated by generally speaking many run the rotella t6 5w-40 full syn diesel oil. Especially helpful in winter climates. I run the newer rotella t6 15w-40 just because my truck burns the 5w a little fast. However there is aboslutley nothing wrong with regular delo, mobile, valvoline 15w-40. The synthetics just handle wear/heat and cold weather areas better etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here are the Ford recommendations for the 7.3:
15W-40 Acceptable viscosity in ambient temperatures >10 deg F
Preferred viscosity for ambient temperatures > 30 deg F

10W-30 Acceptable in ambient temperatures -10 to 90 deg F
Preferred viscosity for ambient temperatures -10 to 30 deg F

5W-30 Acceptable viscosity in ambient temperatures < 30 deg F.
0W-30 Acceptable viscosity in ambient temperatures < 0 deg F

These old technology engines don't have tight bearing clearances and high pressure like modern engines do, so they don't tolerate light viscosity oils in high ambient temperatures without loss of pressure or protection. It's Summer. It isn't going to be colder than 30F anywhere in the country for the next 6 months. Use 15W/40. It's the recommended viscosity that was used to validate the engine when it was new for use in ambient temperatures above 30F.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You;ll not find many folks recommending wix, fram, donald and aftermarket brands for a reason.
And what is that "reason", Justin??

You insinuate that using Donaldson and Wix is determental because "there is a reason people don't recommend them". I want to know what the "reason" is, and who the "people" are. Thanks.

EDIT; A quick search finds opinion that the FL-1995 may have finer filtration than the Wix. I couldn't find anything provable. Only opinion.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts

Other than Fram, or any Champ-brand filter which I won't put on anything, I use Donaldson and Wix filters on the big engines in the boats that cost more to overhaul than a new King Ranch out the door. I have never had a failure related to the manufacturer of the oil filter on any engine I've serviced over the past 50 years as a professional technician, and I've installed one hell of a lot more filters than you probably ever will. I've used both Donaldson and Wix on my 7.3 for the 91,000 miles and 7+ years I've now owned it. I don't use the FL-1995 because it is inconvenient for me to purchase them. I buy Donaldson where I buy my oil and filters for the yachts. If they're good enough for a $250,000 Caterpillar, they are fine for a jankey-*** old 7.3 truck.

I don't make "recommendations", because on things like filters and oil viscosity and change interval, everyone has their personal preferences whether they are valid or not. What I come up with based on research and experience, and works for me may not be what someone else comes up with on their own and may or may not work for them.

You insinuate that using Donaldson and Wix is determental because "there is a reason people don't recommend them". I want to know what the "reason" is, and who the "people" are. Thanks.

Edit to not offend anyone....

I was making a general no insinuation statement as many do not really care about all the dirty details with fluids and filters so I made a judgement call to list a few common aftermarket one to just help the new owner out and not cause any more confusion as they already didn't know what the FL1995 was. I use Donaldson on all our earthmovers, big rigs, general equipment and even wix. I even had a 1991 Toyota that is still driving around with an old acquaintance that had 240k+ miles using fram filters and on sale store brand oil before I sold it.

So to the new owner use whatever filter your heart desires. I would encourage you to use a quality brand as most trucks are cheaper to maintain then to fix.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts

EDIT; A quick search finds opinion that the FL-1995 may have finer filtration than the Wix. I couldn't find anything provable. Only opinion.

You know me well enough by now to know that I generalize way too much. If we go into all the ins and outs of these trucks let alone fluids and filters it'll scare everyone off....

You get in touch with admins to get your old acc back?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright so this is probably a stupid question but I believe I am on a roll here with my luck. If a guy used 15w40 for say 300,000kms then switched to 5w40 would it make a difference?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Alright so this is probably a stupid question but I believe I am on a roll here with my luck. If a guy used 15w40 for say 300,000kms then switched to 5w40 would it make a difference?
IMHO Nope. If you are in the cold, and judging by the use of km you are, the 5 will help with winter starting. I'm in Savannah Georgia so it rarely gets below 40F so I use 15-40 all year.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've had my truck now for at least 5 years, and always use the Motorcraft oil filter (usually available on Amazon for around $10 if you look hard enough) and mostly been running 15w-40 Delo 400. Sometimes the Rotella-T 15w-40 if it's on sale. Changed every 3000 miles or so (+/- 500 miles). When I change my oil, it's dark for sure and probably still fine. I don't have it tested though and just keep changing it. I also change my fuel filter every other oil change, and again use the Motorcraft part (available on Amazon as well, at a better price than the dealer).

Living in Nor-Cal, our temps will get down into the 20s in the winter and the summer we'll see 80 and push upwards of 100 at times. Only problem I've had is a blown o-ring on the HPOP; it was 1 year old. Likely a bad o-ring but it was the Ford part. In the winter the truck starts fine, but when I know it's going to be cold I use the block heater plugged into a "thermo cube" that turns on at 35 degrees.

Clay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts